raincover for bike

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
Hello!

Just a quick question, as i'm new to biking, should one take a raincover to cover the bike when its locked up? when it rains, like it has done for the past few days, quite heavily i dont know if i should have the bike covered up to just give it that little bit more protection when its not being used or just take some wet lube oil with me and use it before i ride on it?

my place of work only has a place on site that is unfortunately not covered and just out in the open. any advice i'd appreciate.

Comments

• mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    I do, I brought a cheap cover from tesco, £4.99.
    infact I have 2, one at work and one at home
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Halfords do good bike covers - there's an internal 'dust cover' type one, but they also do a full waterproof exterior cover too. They aren't cheap - about £8.99 I think - but mine have lasted yonks so they are pretty resilient.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've used them in the past, work fine, and remember to trap the cover under your tyres, or it won't be there later if it's windy.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Is there no where at work that is covered where you can look up the bike?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    They sell them at poundland, I got one and they are spot on!
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    My pointless advice - nice garage at home and secure underground parking at work! Makes it harder to change jobs though knowing I will loose my comfy parking site.

I actually think a bike cover will help make people less likely to nick the bike - they are going to have to look under the cover in the first place to see how it is locked up and if it is worth nicking - this would look suspicious - won't stop a determined thief but it may stop the one who is due to nick your bike.