Crazy cycling in London

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited December 2012 in The bottom bracket
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's mental (can I still say that? :shock: ) and dangerous!
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    There are a lot of eejits out there, and there's Hypocritical Mass to boot.
    Happily I have the simple knowledge that I can ride a bike - claim to be a cyclist even - and remain completely distanced from all of that sh!t.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's mental (can I still say that? :shock: ) and dangerous!

Generally it gets posted here about once every six weeks :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Peddle Up!
    Rolf F wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

My turn this week, I guess. :roll:
  • rolf_f
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

My turn this week, I guess. :roll:

I hope you booked your turn - you won't be popular if you pushed in! :lol:
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Great skill,provided no one pulls/steps out-biggest risk is another bike doing the same thing from the opposite direction.Chapeauxs tho`.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Bunch of stupid ass pr@cks who wonder why other road users are agressive :roll:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    First view for me.

I know of other instances where people have put up YouTube videos of themselves doing something illegal and they have been traced and prosecuted, shame it didn't happen with this one.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Peddle Up!
    nevman wrote:
    Great skill,provided no one pulls/steps out-biggest risk is another bike doing the same thing from the opposite direction.Chapeauxs tho`.

Unless you're crossing the road under a red light and get hit by one of cyclists.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    First view for me

Bunch of fuc*ing nobs, who have zero respect for any other road users. Just because someone is on a bike being a complete w@nker doesn't make them any less of a w@nker.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I wonder what they think of this over at Commuter Chat"!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    byke68 wrote:

Why don't you go and ask them ;).

I'd like some of their bike handling/filtering skillz mind.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    It really is cyclists like that which give a bad name to us all. If I saw someone cycling that around me, i'd be the first to take him out. Utterly ridiculous, its not just their lives they're putting at risk, if it was I'd say carry on. They'll get hurt one day.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    y33stu wrote:
    It really is cyclists like that which give a bad name to us all. If I saw someone cycling that around me, i'd be the first to take him out. Utterly ridiculous, its not just their lives they're putting at risk, if it was I'd say carry on. They'll get hurt one day.

None were wearing helmets either, naughty boys!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    There is another, filmed in New York. think it's filmed by the same guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au0Zjn3eB9k

More worried by the guy's dress than their crazee riding skilz...
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Everybody hates cyclists. Even cyclists hate f@cking cyclists!

And this is the reason why
  • y33stu
    Malcolm Tucker wrote:
    Everybody hates cyclists. Even cyclists hate f@cking cyclists!

And this is the reason why

This.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • rolf_f
    byke68 wrote:

Why don't you go and ask them ;).

I'd like some of their bike handling/filtering skillz mind.

My opinion of these prats is the same in this forum as it would be in Commuting Chat if that helps :lol:

Skilled? Are they really that skilled? Do we know? Ultimately, skill is about consistency - if they can do this all the time without getting killed, hitting people and making a nuisance of themselves then that implies skill. The fact that they couldn't even manage all three in one short video sequence makes me doubtful (never mind the huge chunks they clearly cut out).
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    y33stu wrote:

Agreed. Very silly.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    and they won't get there any quicker...
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Some of the comments on this are quite revealing like:
    "If I saw someone cycling that around me, i'd be the first to take him out." - Why/ - surely this is just road rage in another form.
    "even cyclists hate cyclists"

It is interersting that if some ned or twatt in a car pulls stupid stunts they don't get reffered to as "motorists" just idiots.
    The risk these nobs take endangers many others, probably not seen on the vids, as people take evasive action to avoid them to end up hitting something/someone else. The other aspect is that someone on a bike makes a genuine mistake and pulls out in front of a car and gets hit, in some way they get lumped in with idiots who deliberately take the risk.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Maybe it's the weird angle from the video camera but 90% of those gaps squeezed through made my stomach flip. Any car bus or person moves even an inch and they're all down. Absolutely foolish. When you have Canadian politicians saying "when a cyclist gets hit and killed, yes it's sad but ultimately it's their own fault".......maybe he's talking about these guys. Shocking.
  • y33stu
    Some of the comments on this are quite revealing like:
    "If I saw someone cycling that around me, i'd be the first to take him out." - Why/ - surely this is just road rage in another form.

I say that as a cyclist - not as a motorist. If these idiots were cycling around me in my normal commute and almost knocked me off, I'd be pretty mad. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with that, when most (not all) cyclists obey the highway code, why shouldn't they. I don't care if they get hurt, they will at some point i'm sure. Its other road users, including pedestrians they are putting in danger. If they knocked you off your bike, or caused a car to swerve to miss them, and unintentionally hit you, I'm pretty sure you'd not be happy.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • GiantMike
    I can just imagine that if one of these twonks ended up under a lorry, the lorry driver would be blamed.

If you want to race, do it in an appropriate environment. If you want to tear around London's roads, have the decency to steal a car and stop giving cyclists a bad name.
  • y33stu
    GiantMike wrote:
    If you want to race, do it in an appropriate environment. If you want to tear around London's roads, have the decency to steal a car and stop giving cyclists a bad name.

+1 :D
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Plain flipping recklessness, pity that there isn't a complaint button for inappropriate/reckless films on you tube as that will be seen by some as glorifying all the worst traits that cyclists could have.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Christ, I am not endorsing this sort of sh1t, but is'nt life so dull at times and what a thrill.
    Ultimately, if a cyclist hits a vehicle, the cyclist is going to be 99% more likely to get hurt.
    No it is not good behaviour but when you take all of the risk out of life, you stop living: you just exist.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • GiantMike
    Christ, I am not endorsing this sort of sh1t, but is'nt life so dull at times and what a thrill.
    Ultimately, if a cyclist hits a vehicle, the cyclist is going to be 99% more likely to get hurt.
    No it is not good behaviour but when you take all of the risk out of life, you stop living: you just exist.

The difference is that the cyclists are increasing the risk to the innocent pedestrians who are happily going about their dull lives. The walkers may get home and get their kicks by dangling their genitals above a tank of sharks; that's their choice and their risk.

It's not fair to impose the risk of your thrills on somebody else.
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Pina,

I was not aiming my comments at yourself or anyone else on here, more at the Youtube generation that will see this film and think it is
    a) cool
    b) a normal way of cycling
    c) something to aspire to.

All that said it amused me that in the first 15 seconds there is already a rider down clearly being a muppet in a carpark and I would like to be hold speed they way they seem to but not necessarily in heavy traffic or whilst swerving around on coming vehicles.

That said I do wonder what it would look like if I filmed my own commute in as much as is it a trick of the camera that makes it seem so swift (less the edited bits)?
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    It looks like one of them is in collision with another cyclist at around 5:10, and the pedestrian they both run into on the crossing throws a can at the "other" cyclist, you can see it rebounding down the road just after.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Maybe I'm just a sucker for a bit of Hammerfall, but I can't help but admire their bike skills every time I see it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver