Rockshox SID race rebound slllooooowwwww

gazhurst
gazhurst Posts: 75
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently bought a used set of Rockshox SID race 2009 and they were working perfectly.

Last week I was setting the sag and instead of gradually getting longer when I put air in, the stancion was extending in big chunks.

Yesterday I was cleaning the bike and tested everything and I noticed after compressing the forks the rebound/re-extension was horribly slow (possibly 1 or 2 seconds to fully extend). They also made a loud hydraulic piston kind of noise whilst doing so.

I thought it might be the rebound and went to adjust it but the adjuster just keeps turning and turning without that distinct click you usually get. I pulled the adjuster off and checked the hex key part and that looks fine....

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is not supposed to click, it just turns. But should be a stop... this is usually 720 degrees, or on Quick adjust forks, a quarter turn.

Sounds liek the hex key has worn the socket away, or the cartridge is knackered. First thing to to is strip then and see.
  • gazhurst
    gazhurst Posts: 75
    Ok, started stripping the forks down and it appears the adjuster problem is down to the red bit with the threads not screwing in fully. It's getting to within about 3 threads of fully tight before the whole rod starts turning with it. There is some dry cream coloured stuff on the threads, a little like a loctite kind of look but not blue...cold this be causing it to not thread in properly?

I still can't work out why the forks were rebounding/re-extending so slowly though
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm nor sure what parts you mean, you'll have to photo them.