Possible Fork Lockout Problem?

Good Old Bakes
Good Old Bakes Posts: 89
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Just picked my new Rockrider 8.1 up from Decathlon but I'm not sure if the remote fork lockout is working properly. On or off doesn't seem to be any different. I assumed that when the forks are locked out, there would be either no or very little play in them and it would be noticable? The switch seems to be engaging the mechanism on top of the fork ok, so is there something else that needs to be done to get them to stiffen up?

I thought I'd ask on here before ringing the shop and potentially looking foolish. Never had front suspension before so it's a bit of a learning curve at the moment. One of the reasons I went for the Rockrider was the remote lockout as I do a fair bit of paths and roads.

Cheers.

Comments

• sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    The lock out should prevent the fork from compressing more that a few millimetres unless a large force is applied.
    The most likely problem is that the lockout cable is not engaging enough to lock it out. If the fork is still cycling easily, then I would recommend that you take it to the shop and tell them to fix it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork is designed to compress 20mm or so when locked to aid traction - and there is a blow off valve for bigger hits. However it should not move more than this over minor stuff - I agree that the cable tenison is the likely problem, it must turn the adjuster fully clockwise.

Also if the bike is been on its side the oil can drain into the upper leg - unlock fork, compress through the travel 20 times.
  • Thanks guys. The guy in the shop turned it upside down briefly to put the wheel back on. I'll try compressing 20 times.

So just to be clear, it doesn't lock it rigid then,there should be a little play? Sorry for the dumb-ass questions, it's all new gravy to me at the moment. :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708