Strava oddities

TKF
TKF Posts: 279
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I rode up a tiny little incline yesterday and was surprised not to see it as a segment on Strava. I decided to add my own segment and it did its normal thing of saying "do you mean this one?"

I did indeed mean that one but it's strange that it didn't pick me up on it as my route took me up that exact hill.

But when you look closer it's easy to see why as it doesn't follow the road. And yet 60+ people have got times on it 200+ times.
http://app.strava.com/segments/813453

So how does that work?

Confused of Berkshire

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Dunno but that aint a hill
  • TKF
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Dunno but that aint a hill
    I'm everso sorry.

Duly edited.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Strava is assuming there are GPS errors I think.

As the ride an be off road as well as on road, valid data can be wherever the tracks it.

Take a look at someone elses data:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/6304876#119749433

It's not ideal.

We have a twisty MTB section that runs alongside a major road, where Strava would pick up the segment if ridden offroad or on road. I think Strava can tweak how far away from the main segment the rider can be on a per segment basis, as I reported the segment I mentioned (via the flag) - and it seems to have been fixed for good (as it's a busy sections for roadies - and have not seen any more roadies appearing on the segment)
    Simon
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Answer is in Strava FAQs.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    TKF wrote:
    I rode up a speed bump yesterday and was surprised not to see it as a segment on Strava. I decided to add my own segment and it did its normal thing of saying "do you mean this one?"

I did indeed mean that one but it's strange that it didn't pick me up on it as my route took me up that exact hill.

But when you look closer it's easy to see why as it doesn't follow the road. And yet 60+ people have got times on it 200+ times.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/813453

So how does that work?

Confused of Berkshire

FTFY
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    There do seem to be quite a few segments near me that I wouldn't even call a hill. And why do people make them so short? Surely any numpty can blaze up an incline of 800m? I'm going to start making segments that are 5km long...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    One mans hill is another mans mountain?!

Maybe there's nothing else hilly around - my commute only has "hills" like this but they give me something to sprint up to break the flat monotony
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    There do seem to be quite a few segments near me that I wouldn't even call a hill. And why do people make them so short? Surely any numpty can blaze up an incline of 800m? I'm going to start making segments that are 5km long...

I guess its considered an all out sprint. Anyone can run 100m, but it doesn't stop it being a much watched Olympic event. ;)
    Simon
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    How about this one for an oddity. Apparently my heart rate got to 250bpm http://app.strava.com/rides/8381435

I didn't feel that worn out!
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Gizmo_ wrote:

It's FUN. Nothing more, nothing less. Making a segment takes 2 minutes and costs no one, so why not? Of course, short segments suffer more from the inaccuracies inherent in GPS units, but as far as I know there's nothing more than a little Internet kudos riding on these short segments?! :?

OP: to answer your question: sometimes Strava takes some time to match up all the pre-existing segments to your ride. You may find that after a few hours the segments have been picked up.
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    One mans hill is another mans mountain?!

Maybe there's nothing else hilly around - my commute only has "hills" like this but they give me something to sprint up to break the flat monotony

This.

Having 'easier' segments has given me motivation to get out there.

There's one near me on my regular route which is 0.5 miles, gains 41ft.

Not a hill by many people's (on here) estimations, but I was 17th, then 12th, today I became 5th (19.3mph for 1:42) - Something I've not done before, also makes me want to go back out and get top!
  • TKF
    Answer is in Strava FAQs.
    So it is. Ticket logged. Ta.

To the others pointing and laughing at how short and shallow the segment is the guy that came 4th measured a power output of 424W. I'm not there yet (anywhere near!) so it's a good target to aim for when I don't live near any Alps.