Wonky tyre

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had a new Schwalbe Albert 2.3 type put on my front wheel after a puncture and realising that my previous front tyre had received way too many punctures and lacerations.

I've noticed on the road that it seems to wobble a bit. Only ever so slightly, but its noticeable. Looking down I can see a slight wobble in the tyre but there doesn't seem to be any wobble in the rim. I haven't had the chance to have the wheel checked to see if it needs truing as when I went in to my local bike shop they said that the tyre needs to bed in a bit and this is normal.

Is this right, or could it be something else ?

Comments

• chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Look at the bead of the tyre is it the same all way round the wheel rim? I have the same issue, got some Nobby Niks brand new slapped them onn my brand new bike and when I ride down the road it like there is a slight buckle.

Let the air out of the tyre and try to re=seat the tyre see if that helps.
  • echowitch
    Danke, I'll give that a try :)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Glad its not just me then. Put a nic and a ralph on and they both have quite a bad tread wobble. Remember hearing of people buying canyons getting they're tyres replaced cause of bad batches.
    Will deflate and see if can get them any better, although looking round the rim they do seem to be seated ok.
  • brindlescoops
    brindlescoops Posts: 465
    You can see if the schwalbe are seated properly as you can usually see a tiny bit of the grey bead section uniformly around the rim, maybe just 1mm. I have to use soap suds to seat my nics properly and on my other bIke with ralphs, if i deflate them to around 10 psi, i can pull them with my hands to be uniform and the inflate propely.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Pump it up to 80psi and hopefully it will seat itself properly. You may hear a loud crack sort of a noise. Just remember to put them back to whatever pressure you usually run it at before riding again.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Soapy water & try 60-80psi for a few seconds/minutes. Should get it seated.
  • echowitch
    I tried soapy water and inflating to 80psi and I still have a slightly wonky tyre. I don't have any way to test if the wheel is straight but I jury rigged using a tyre lever braced against the fork to see if there's any wobble in the wheel. Unless its my imagination there does seem to be a slight wobble to it, which I presume would seem larger in the tyre ?
  • DodgeT
    Tried all of the above, still big wobble. Thought had cracked it as took the tyre off and found that the rim tape was all pushed up at the side where the wobble was. Centralised it, made no difference.
  • echowitch
    My local bike shop (the guys where I bought the bike and always do my repairs) had a look and sorted a very minor truing issue but I can still see a slight wobble. They've said the tyre needs to bed in a bit. I'll give it a bit and see.

Other than that Im loving the tyre as it has awesome grip and rolls so much faster than my previous tyre. :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Almost all tyres have a bit of wobble in them, it's just the way it is.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, just ride it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DodgeT
    Had a look at it again earlier, you can see that the tread is quite deformed. When I say wobble, it throws out about 5mm at the bad point.

Stuck a spesh purgatory on now as I can't do with that in front of me. Be alright on the back.
  • echowitch
    I've got Schwalbe's support department on the case. :)