New Bike Advice

MissCMC
MissCMC Posts: 545
edited May 2012 in Women
Hi

I'm coming back to the mountain biking world and am looking for advice on a good bike to buy. I would be looking for something to start me back and mostly for cross country riding, and possibly moving on in future to enduro but if I get that far then a new bike will be on the cards I imagine. Maybe something which I can upgrade in parts in the future also.

I am looking at getting something through my works cycle scheme, for around £500, so for that price I am looking at a hardtail. I have been looking online and in various shops. I have been advised to look mainly at male frames, as they are better spec'd (?) for the price range I am looking at, and also in an 18"/medium frame (I'm 5'8" with 34" inside leg).

The bikes I like from the store I can get them on our cycle scheme would be:

Cube Aim Disc 2012

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012

Giant Revel 0 2012

Scott Voltage YZ20 2012

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chrissie
Sarcasm: Because punching someone in the face is illegal.

Comments

• mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    I would try to have a ride on a few of them!

I ride a Trek 6500 and love it, its a couple of years old now, and a mans bike but works well for me.
    My OH who is the same height (5ft 8) as me has a Whyte 905, and I find the geometry on it all wrong- even though we are the same height!- both are medium frames.

Good luck!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What store is it, and do they stock any others?
  • MissCMC
    Hi

It's Tredz in Swansea and Cardiff. They do a pretty large range but these were the ones that they pointed me in the direction of.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd rule out the Scott and the Specialized - the former is more of a jump type bike and is pretty heavy, while the latter has a really poor fork that spoils the ride. The Cube also falls foul of the same problem.

The Giant looks good: but take a look at this too:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Trai ... _48919.htm

Good frame and fork - lacks hydraulic disc brakes, but lighter riders will be fine. I;d see what fits best out of these two.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Cannondale really do make some beautiful frames too.
  • MissCMC
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I tried many bikes over the last couple of weekends and purchased a Cannondale today! Pick it up next weekend ready for a long weekend of fun! I just hope the sun stays out now and I am sure I will be back with more questions soon. :D
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I remember my dale with great fondness, you will enjoy it muchly!

Have lots of fun.