Fork removal on my canyon .

jacksprogis
jacksprogis Posts: 75
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone , i have a nasty creak coming from the front end of my nerve am 7 , I thought i would start with a headset re-grease but i cant get the fork out to clean the bottom cup , any ideas ? On my ns the forks slide right out and i cant see why these wont budge :/

I also have a creaky saddle and i wondered if there is a fix , i always have a clean bike and i hate creaks :?

After a prolonged period in the saddle mainly on technical ups and downs my fingers size up and i cant move them for 10 mins or so , what is this all about ?
Im loving the bike so far :)

Cheers , jack :D
Santa Cruz Nomad CC
Santa Cruz 5010 CC
YT Tues CF Comp
Race for Burgtec

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hammer. Whack it. Sometimes helps to push it up first to loosen the compression ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jacksprogis
    Cheers man , good old hit it with a hammer :) I will do it im the morning when im fresh , is it the same for all threadless headsets ? What should i lube/oil/grease after a wash also please ? Cheers , jack .
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893

After a prolonged period in the saddle mainly on technical ups and downs my fingers size up and i cant move them for 10 mins or so , what is this all about ?
    Im loving the bike so far :)

Cheers , jack :D
    are you gripping them too hard ? also, the standard grips are quite thin, maybe try something a bit thicker, depends how big your hands are i suppose
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • jacksprogis
    I dont tend to grip to hard to be honest , i may try some thicker grips then :) I have rode dirt jump/bmx tracks since 2007 but never had any problems .

Cheers man .
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cheers man , good old hit it with a hammer :) I will do it im the morning when im fresh , is it the same for all threadless headsets ? What should i lube/oil/grease after a wash also please ? Cheers , jack .
    They're all basically the same yes.
    What you do after depends what's inside. If loose or caged bearings, just a clean and grease. If cartridge and they're stuffed replacement is the only real option.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Once you've whacked the fork down a bit (you have to hit HARD, but use a plastic faced mallet/piece of wood to protect the steerer), they still won't let go as there's a plastic wedge between the upper bearing cup and the steerer. You have to gently tap the cup downwards to get it off the wedge. Be careful as the wedge is a bit flimsy.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • jacksprogis
    Just hit it with a hammer to no avail , i cant remove the plastic ring :( Abit of the ring snapped off .

Cheers , jack :)
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chez_m356
    Hey everyone , i have a nasty creak coming from the front end of my nerve am 7
    another thing it may be, check the cables where they go into the frame, they can creak quite a bit after a while
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    It's not as easy as that thread suggests nick, the centring wedge is plastic and won't stand being levered. I snapped a bit off too OP.

Make sure the fork isn't resting on the ground (obviously) and you have to really, really tw@t it, several times, before the fork moves down by maybe 10mm. Once you've achieved this, you can use a screwdriver to gently tap at the edge of the metal bearing surface, to get it off the plastic wedge.

There's not much you can do with the bearings by the way, they are sealed units, but you can squirt some new grease in at least.

Keep trying!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • jacksprogis
    Cheers everyone , The creak was bad today at mac but i just washed her again and its gone :) If it comes back i will try as you said shackster :)

Nice one , Jack
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • chez_m356
    Cheers everyone , The creak was bad today at mac but i just washed her again and its gone :) If it comes back i will try as you said shackster :)

Nice one , Jack
    seriously, check the cables where they enter the frame, mine creak like a b**t**d sometimes :wink:
  • jacksprogis
    Just have :) I've put some light oil on them :_)
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec