tyres that are easy to get on and off?

buy_my_cookies
buy_my_cookies Posts: 114
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
My sister has a mtb that she wants to use to bike to work, so we are going to put some road tyres on. The only problem is its always been really difficult getting tyres on to her rims, I have snapped many tyre levers on her bike (yet the very same tyre can be put on one of my bikes without even using a lever).

Are there any 26" road/slick/commuting tyres out there that are notoriously easy to get on and off? I would even go as far to say tyres that would fall of most rims would be a tight fit on hers.

Comments

• medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    Every slick tyre is a bit of a pain to fit. Get decent levers first (topeak, pedros, park tool). I ride on continental sport contact - they are quite easy to take them off (good tyre levers are the key...) and put back on (good grip in hands is the key...) on 17mm wide rim. Comparing to specialized nimbus - much easier!

The narrower the rim the more difficult it is to do it.

Maybe think about getting a set of wider wheels? I've got an emergency set from halfords (£29.99 each), they are wide and don't even require a lever for tyre change.
  • thanks for the reply, should have said in OP,

I had an old set of continental sport contact 26*1.3 hanging around from when i used to use my mtb on the road, I tried them on her wheels and they were a pain to get on, this was using metal tyre levers. Do the branded levers add any other benifits other then being stronger? e.g are they shaped a special way that makes it easier?

I could just about get the contacts on, she was unable to :( hoping to find an easier tyre so she is able to replace an inner tube on the road in case the fairy visits! Even getting normal mtb tyres on her wheels is harder then getting the contacts on my mtb wheels.

Thanks for the tip about rims i will messure hers tomorrow.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Rims and tyres regardless it's technique m'man. If you pinch the bead into the centre of the rim on the opposite side to where you are working on then any tyre gains the slack to go on. I only use a lever to get a tyre started off, always put them back on bare handed as it avoids pinch puncture catastrophe.

Plus it's very manly.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Technique is key, that said I have trouble with one set of rims I've built with more than any other. Watch the nice beardy man from Spa:

http://youtu.be/-XUFVrl0UT4
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Technique helps.
    Pedros levers help. (Strong and don't bend like metal ones).
    Tyre choice helps.

However, the likely culprit is the rim profile. I have 5 sets of wheels. On 4 sets, changing tyres out is no problem, lever free. On my Campagnolo Sciroccos, I need levers until the tyre has been off and on around 5 times and stretched a bit.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Maybe warm the tyres up before trying to fit them. Warmer rubber is more pliable.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    IME it depends on tire and rim. Some rims and tires are just a pain to fit, others go on with thumbs only.
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Personally I'd get the tyres that have one of the worst reputations for being difficult to fit (Marathon Plus), spend a couple of hours cursing and swearing to get them on, but confident in the knowledge I won't need to take them off again until they're threadbare.

Having said that, my three year old Marathon Plus tyres which I've taken off/on a few times (swapping them with Winter tyres or moving to other bikes) are now a complete doddle to get on and off. I presume the bead must stretch with time. Either that or my technique has been improving! :D
  • corshamjim might have the right idea here, if we get some tyres with good puncture protection then hopfully she will never have to change them (if I am even able to get them on).

I have looked over the videos suggested here and they gave a lot of good hints and tips but these wheels just seem to be impossible, its even hard just to get one half the tyre on! Have a mate who has some city jets will try them tonight.
  • As an after thought can you get thinner rim tape? Would this help?
  • It can, depending if what you have is too wide, it didn't make too much difference when I tried.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Yes, technique helps, but some tyres are way worse than others. I've always found Schwalbe race tyres like the Ultremo variants are exceptionally easy to fit on most wheels, but have never found a Maxxis tyre yet or any sort that goes on easily to *any* rim. They are all utter barstewards to fit. After last set I tried, never again....

Campag rims usually harder than others for some reason. But Worst. Rims. Ever. are some old "Sun" MTB ones I have. Great wheels, strong as the proverbial bovine, but horrid to change tyres on. Guaranteed to break a lever or three every time.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's to do with ETRO standards. If you have a rim that is machined to the upper limits (Campagnolo) and a tyre that is pressed out of the mold to the lower limits (Continental), then you'll have a nightmare when it comes to fitting and refitting.

I cite the wheel and tyre manufacturers from my own experience.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    But Worst. Rims. Ever. are some old "Sun" MTB ones I have

It isn't just the old ones, my Sunn MTX pretty much murder anything that resembles a tyre lever!