What's the difference do you feel on different teeth.....

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Ok looking at changing my cassette to SRAM, however what's the difference in teeth.

Two available a 11-32 and an 11-34, so I'm guessing the gear ratios I will get at the end of the cassette will be the same but in the top will feel different?

Am I right?

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ok looking at changing my cassette to SRAM, however what's the difference in teeth.

Two available a 11-32 and an 11-34, so I'm guessing the gear ratios I will get at the end of the cassette will be the same but in the top will feel different?

Am I right?
    Well, the small cog will have 11 teeth. After that they differ somewhat.

For example, a Shimano 11-32 XT cassette goes...
    11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32
    And the 11-34 cassette goes...
    11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34

Why are you changing to SRAM though? There's really no benefit to "upgrading". Just replace the cassette when it's worn.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    in the top will feel different?

Am I right?
    you mean in bottom gear will feel different 8)
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Two available a 11-32 and an 11-34,

The 34 tooth cassette will make it a bit easier to pedal- by a surprising amount given its only two extra teeth!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Yep unless you ride flatlands or are at the top of your game you will prefer the 34 setup. May need to replace the chain too if you are replacing due to wear. You can normally get a chain and sprocket deal.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've just replaced my (very old) 9sp Deore 11-34 cassette with a 10sp XT 11-32 - and I'm definitely not in the flatlands! :?

Just get fitter...or die trying :cry:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    FWIW, the advantage of an 11-34 isn't just the lower gear- I barely use mine. It's the wider range in the middle ring.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    For me its the difference between being able to climb a rough, rooty, flinty 1:4 and being able to get close to a 1:3.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    First ride yesterday with the 11-32. I really like the tight ratios in the middle. And you can get away with a medium cage mech if you're running a 36t max up front.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ashleydwsmith
    ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
    Cheers for all the tips, gone for 11-32 so hopefully will get on with it!