Wish my body geometry conformed to standard sizing

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
If I were say 6 feet tall and had a 34 inch inseam, bike fitting would be so simple and uncomplicated. With that body sizing , Im sure its select a size 56 or 58 frame, plop bum on saddle and adjust to fit , select stem and the rider would be good to go. No really having to "make do",no neccessity for custom sized tube lengths /compromises and just a much simplified fitting procedure. I am 5 feet 9 inches tall and I have a 30 inch inseam. Thats actually quite short inseam for my height and I think I have an inseam more akin to somebody around 5 feet 7 inches :( If I went for a 52cm frame I think the saddle tube length would be very comfy but the top tube too short as my upper torso is long. The 53cm frame might be more of the same. I use a 54cm frame but I have to use a 90mm stem to get a good fit that doesnt have me overstretching. In theoretical terms only and out of curiousity, I used online sizing calculators to see what they say is suitable saddle height for my body height / inseam length. What it told me was that 25.78 inches was the saddle height for me, I took the measuring tape out and found my saddle height is 27.75 inches, which is very comfortable for me. When I moved my saddle down to 25.78 inches, it was far too low and no way could I ride it. The situation I find is that my sizing is full of "make do`s "

52cm / 53cm frames are too short for me at TT , but seat tube length would be fine
54cm frame with 545mm TT is "just" too long, but a 90mm stem cures the issue completely.

Because I have to use 54cm , I have to use inline seatpost to get knee over spindle

I believe the short inseam is at the heart of the fitting fussiness for me and the only way to get a perfect fit would be a custom sized frame that takes into account TT and seat tube lengths, which my riding skills completely do not justify.Im sure there are riders here whose body sizing makes fitting a cinch, but what about riders like me who have a harder time getting fitted and have to make adjustments or compromises in areas in order to get as good a fit as possible ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I'd look to the frames that are fairly noticably compact - Giant etc. Ridleys also come up small for the top tube length.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If I were you I'd go and see a professional.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    DesWeller wrote:
    If I were you I'd go and see a professional.
    I know there's a lot of obsessive compulsion and madness surrounding bike fit but going to see a psychiatrist is a bit much :shock: :lol::lol:

To the OP, as you've found out the "science" isn't always right when comes down to each individual. Standardization is about a designing a limited number of forms to fit the most common denominators that few, if any, are likely to wholly fit - that's why we have variable stems lengths, bars widths, seatpost styles, crank lengths, pedal spindles and saddle rails.

Don't be afraid to be different if it's what's comfortable for you but seek advice from people who know, either from experienced cyclists or from a bike fit if you wish.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A very compact style sloping frame like the Giant TCR will eliminate standover clearance as a limiting factor. You can size the frame by top tube length to get the correct reach.
    Giant used to supply a variety of seapost height and laybacks. I use an inline post on my std road bike, there is nothing wrong with using one. Same goes for shorter stems most stems can be varied +-2cm with little effect on handling.
    The only disadvantage of an "oversized" compact frame is that the head-tube may be higher than you want for very racy style riding. Since most leisure style roadbikes (Giant Defy) use a higher headtube.
    Make sure that your oversized frame doesnt use oversized cranks. Stick to 170 not 175.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    In 52 or 54 frames the seat angle doesn't vary by much. So you would need to use an inline post no matter what frame. Knee over spindle is not that important and in fact for taller riders we put the knee slightly behind it. How are you deciding knee over spindle. If you are doing it yourself your eye is in the wrong spot and you will in fact be putting your knee infront of spindle (even using a plumb bomb).

Your body dimensions suggest a LONGER frame is required Don't worry about stand over. If you are used to riding frames that are too short the correct frame feels too long.

I myself have the opposite problem in that I'm 6'2" but I'm all legs Saddle height 820 from BB this means I ride a 57 TT frame but then problems arise over getting the bar to saddle drop right (4")

There is a science to fitting you but you have to accept what the tape measure says and ride it. It will feel odd but eventually feel normal.

What saddle to bar drop are you running?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I believe the short inseam is at the heart of the fitting fussiness for me
    Hmm, I'm not so sure. I'm also 5' 9", and while my saddle height is a little more than yours (about 73cm as opposed to 70.5cm) I usually have plenty seatpost showing on a 54ish size frame. More of an issue might be the seat tube angle if you want to run a setback seatpost, but as previously said you can always run an inline post (if the angle is around 73 or 73.5), and there are some frames available nowadays that have steep seat tubes (up to 74.5 on frames of around that size).

Although you say that you have a long upper body, I wonder if actually it is reach that is the issue, as if you are needing to run a 90mm stem on a 54 size frame at your height that suggests that your reach isn't particularly long.

Of course geometries vary a lot between manufacturers and frames sizes nowadays are almost meaningless... what bikes are you looking at in these sizes?
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    Raffles wrote:
    If I were say 6 feet tall and had a 34 inch inseam, bike fitting would be so simple and uncomplicated.
    Life would be better too with women literally throwing themselves at your feet as you walk down the street ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TKF wrote:
    Raffles wrote:
    If I were say 6 feet tall and had a 34 inch inseam, bike fitting would be so simple and uncomplicated.
    Life would be better too with women literally throwing themselves at your feet as you walk down the street ;)

You mean not everyone has this?

Unlucky.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    giropaul wrote:
    I'd look to the frames that are fairly noticably compact - Giant etc. Ridleys also come up small for the top tube length.

If you have a long body the last thing you want is a short frame.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Rolf F wrote:
    giropaul wrote:

If you have a long body the last thing you want is a short frame.

You misunderstand me. A small Noah (47 c/c seat) has a 545 top tube - i.e. the frame is smaller than the top tube length might suggest.