After three weeks of rainy commute...

medoramas
medoramas Posts: 202
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
The sun came out yesterday so I decided to give the bike a proper clean. The weather had been rather not pleasant recently. I found that: both hubs had grease washed out, the chain fitted 4 weeks ago (with new cassette) now has 0.75% of wear, bottom bracket needs replacing, both pairs of green swissstops are gone... Lovely...

Comments

• mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    What greese do you use in the hubs?
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    mar_k wrote:
    What greese do you use in the hubs?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAod1nXyDA - this one. Replaced now with a bit thicker castrol car grease...
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    brilliant, thanks.

I would have thought the castrol grease would have been too thick and cause resistance within the hub?
    is that not the case?
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    mar_k wrote:
    brilliant, thanks.

I would have thought the castrol grease would have been too thick and cause resistance within the hub?
    is that not the case?
    If you're very sparing with it, its not too bad, but a light Lithium Grease is preferable for bike bearings as even a small amount of additional drag can be significant when you only have a few tenth's of a HP to play with :)

Grease shouldn't wash out of hubs. That suggests you haven't got the right seals in place.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    mar_k wrote:
    brilliant, thanks.

is that not the case?
    If you're very sparing with it, its not too bad, but a light Lithium Grease is preferable for bike bearings as even a small amount of additional drag can be significant when you only have a few tenth's of a HP to play with :)

Grease shouldn't wash out of hubs. That suggests you haven't got the right seals in place.

+1, white lithium grease is the stuff.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Did the same, took the BB off and my bike drained itself, not a clue how it got in but its much lighter now :lol: