Cold air = reduced performance?

TKF
TKF Posts: 279
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I went out this morning and completely misjudged the weather, specifically the air temperature. There was glorious sunshine so I just wore bib and short sleeved jersey. About 3 miles in I realised I'd made the wrong decision and nearly turned back to get a base layer and/or gilet but figured both it and I would warm up soon enough. We didn't.

When I checked Strava on my return I was a) 1mph down on my recent averages but more importantly, b) my avHR was higher by around 10 beats above normal. 25 miles all in Z5 which really knackered me out.

Does a lower core temp usually mean a higher bpm to do the same work? And does a colder body normally mean a slower ride?

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    25mi in z5? wow.

Normally, if you're cold, your body has to work harder to keep you warm.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    As colder air is denser it requires more energy to ride through and thus slows you down. Really was quite nippy this morning, nice and warm by lunchtime though!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bit of head wind could easily knock 1mph off your average speed.
    More problems but still living....
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Simply, yes.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • TKF
    amaferanga wrote:
    Tbh the speed I was less concerned with. It was also a fairly unfamiliar route which could account for the drop.

The HR rise was a shock though.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    TKF wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Tbh the speed I was less concerned with. It was also a fairly unfamiliar route which could account for the drop.

The HR rise was a shock though.

If you think about it, your body likes being at 37 degrees. When you cycle you are sucking in lots more air than normal, and when this air is cold, you're effectively filling the core of your body with very cold air constantly, which in turn makes the heart work harder to keep everything warm enough.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    i had a good ride today and it was quite warm.......http://connect.garmin.com/activity/177330376
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    If you were riding in the UK yesterday then I doubt your core temperature was an issue but rather your cognition of feeling cold which could have a physiological impact on your performance as can the physical effects of constriction of the blood capillaries in areas throughout the body, forcing the heart to work harder to circulate the blood.

As for what to wear, you learn with practice what to wear but also use a weather service that gives 1 or 3 hour reports so before you leave you can determine temperature, precipitation and wind direction throughout your ride.

As for the Z5 thing, I'd suggest you may need to adjust the settings.
  • TKF
    As for the Z5 thing, I'd suggest you may need to adjust the settings.
    Admittedly I haven't physically tested my maxHR but I'm 36 with a resting HR of 58.

Garmin Forerunner 410 shows an average of 167bpm over 25 miles which is firmly in Z5 by any calcs.

Mind you it's the first time I've tried the Garmin after my Polar went missing* so maybe it's the unit reading too high?

*not sure if it can be classed as theft. Left it behind in the gym locker with my iPod and whoever found it didn't hand them in. Why someone would want an old sweaty HRM is beyond me!
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    TKF, I don't know about the Forerunner but I know other Garmin devices use the old 220-age method which few find accurate. Also check on Strava whether you need to set your zones on there - once on ridewithgps I achieved a heart rate of 104% before I realised it didn't automatically correspond the zones with the device.

I'm 43 and when testing for MaxHR it can still exceed 190bpm so have set my MaxHR at 193bpm.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Today I rode at ave HR 167 for 2 hours (racing)
    Using a standard MHR formula ... thats zone 6 which is plainly ridiculous.
    Having an idea of true max hr and recalculating brings me into zone 4 which is race pace and is bang on the money for effort level I endured.
  • TKF
    TKF, I don't know about the Forerunner but I know other Garmin devices use the old 220-age method which few find accurate. Also check on Strava whether you need to set your zones on there - once on ridewithgps I achieved a heart rate of 104% before I realised it didn't automatically correspond the zones with the device.

I'm 43 and when testing for MaxHR it can still exceed 190bpm so have set my MaxHR at 193bpm.
    The zone data was on the Garmin Connect site. Not sure Strava has any zone stuff, at least not on the free version.

I'll have to try proper maxHR test in the gym this week and see what comes out.
  • TKF
    Well that explains it.

Garmin Connect has 5 HR zones rather than 6...
  • rob21 wrote:
    i had a good ride today and it was quite warm.......http://connect.garmin.com/activity/177330376
    Haha I expect I saw you as this was my ride today http://connect.garmin.com/activity/177777966
    Was only gonna do 50 but the weather was so good I couldn't resist a bit more
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    rob21 wrote:
    Haha I expect I saw you as this was my ride today http://connect.garmin.com/activity/177777966
    Was only gonna do 50 but the weather was so good I couldn't resist a bit more
    looks like a nice little ride you did :)
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Whats Z5?
  • klep wrote:
    Whats Z5?

Something which doesn't belong in a beginner's forum :)