which bike for xc racing for under £1000

hayhay26
hayhay26 Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello all
ive retired from playing football at 33 due to injury and got back into xc racing but will another child on the way, changing house and the misses moaning im not allowed to spend alot on a new bike,
I am racing a old trek 6000 hardtail at the mo, because of my knee i have more of a sit down riding style, the people i have been racing against look so much more comftable on full sussers apart from the really fast guys who are standing up powering past me,
really need a new bike for under £1000 for xc racing , but what?
giant looked best speced for the money,
been looking at
Giant xtc 2 2010, was £995 now £689 at pauls cycles
Giant talon 0 29er 2012 for £750 but i get another 12% off that at wiggle, better spec fork from 2011 model
also a Giant anthem x5 2011, was £1400 now £899 from pauls too
Giant just seem to do more bike for your money,
What bike? 26, 29er or full susser? any other bike to consider?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :|

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is no doubt that for 1k 26er hardtails are the lightest and best specced. I would be looking at the Boardman Pro and Cube LTD series.

The XTC is great for the money, but not as light or well specced as the boardman. The Anthem is without doubt the best full suspesnion bike for this money for XC. Maybe try them out?
  • hayhay26
    hayhay26 Posts: 7
    Thanks
    I thought giants would be light, they just looked so well specced to other bikes at same price,
    i like the boardmans but i don't really like the styling of cubes but i see they get good write ups.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    The anodised black cubes are a bit more understated if you aren't wanting to look too flash :wink:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • warren30
    warren30 Posts: 71
    hi hayhay26 I had to stop playing football due to arthritis few years ago,last year I got back in to mountain biking done alot of research tried bikes.I ended up with the boardman team hardtail 2010 very well specced for money love it I tried a few bikes that's the one I liked best,try a few out.I would get a boardman again or cube.only problem I got now is I'm watching the guys do big jumps on the downhills tempted to get another bike don't think the team would handle that. lots more money I haven't got.i would like bike that could do both
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Boardman for hardtail, Anthem for FS. Unless you see a bargain of course!
    Personally I'd go hardtail.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    also consider some kind of on-one whippet build

Frames - £249 current

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCWHND/o ... aled_frame
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I had the same dilemma with the £1k racing bike...Went for the Boardman Pro HT...the thing is amazing for the money and have been really pleased with it.