What did I tighten?!

magicrichard
magicrichard Posts: 69
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Quick background: Chain was slipping on the outer two cogs. Determined that chain had worn about 0.65% and so with a bit of research decided could well be the cause as the cassette teeth were still relatively flat on top. Replaced shimano chain with new SRAM PC971 chain and took for a ride.

Sadly, the problem was still there. So I popped the bike upside down and noticed the rear wheel was wobbling despite being tightened by the quick release. Took the wheel and skewer off and discovered that one of the outermost nuts was loose. Bodging some tools together I used a large adjustable spanner and some molegrips and tightened this a bi, not much as it was difficult with molegrips.. Reassembled and discovered the problem was gone.

Good news. However.. what have i tightened?! What should I be using to tighten this in the future, and what's the best way of confirming that I have tightened it the correct amount and it won't loosen again?

I should add: I am a novice mechanic! The rear wheel/hub/whatever it is(!) being loose surprised me as I have recently replaced the rear wheel. Is it possible that when I re-fitted the cassette after this, I didn't tighten up the lock-ring enough?

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    edited May 2012
    info would help.. make and model of hub...

sounds like you tightened the cone and lock nut.. tools for the future cone spanners i know shimano hubs use 15mm &17mm..
    oh and parktools.com is a good source of info and there's plenty of video on the tube (youtube) showing you how to service/strip hubs...

how tight did you tighten the casss lockring did you torque it up to recomended specs..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Most likely one of he lock rings and a cone.

Read about servicing cone and cup hubs on Parktools and Sheldon Browns webbys.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry - it was a Shimano deore rear hub. I'll be honest - i tightened up the cassette lock-ring with no torque wrench - it didn't seem to get much tighter it just made a loud noise - feel like I have missed something crucial here?!

I guess this is the page: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... adjustment
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes you need to do it properly, get the cones right then nip up the locknuts or it will come loose again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes you need to do it properly, get the cones right then nip up the locknuts or it will come loose again.

Or perhaps the balls will be crunched, the cones destroyed, and your hub is toast in 20 yards flat.

Setting the cones up is one of the most fiddly things to do on a bike, you need a smidgen of clearance (play in the shaft) when the wheel is out of the bike, this will be taken up when the QR is done up and the shaft inevitably flexes and effectively shortens. If you set up tight or precise when the wheel is out, you crunch the balls when the wheel is fitted.
    Giant Reign X1
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's why I said right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools