frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2012 in Pro race
I'd ride it if I was in the area.

http://www.marchaalbertocontador.com
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I would LOVE if they offered steak as part of the event.

He'd get some serious hero points if he did that.
  • frenchfighter
    What rule is UCI using here?

Jesús Hernández, along with Saxo Bank teammate Sergio Paulinho, has received word that the UCI will not allow them to lead the peloton of more than 700 cyclists tomorrow at the II Marcha Alberto Contador in Pinto.

Contador's longtime friend, training partner and teammate, Hernández, tweeted early today that he was looking forward to a "great day of cycling," but a few hours later wrote: "The UCI won't let us participate in Alberto Contador's gran fondo nor enjoy all the fans. We'll be at the finish line and award the prizes."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

Jesús Hernández, along with Saxo Bank teammate Sergio Paulinho, has received word that the UCI will not allow them to lead the peloton of more than 700 cyclists tomorrow at the II Marcha Alberto Contador in Pinto.

Contador's longtime friend, training partner and teammate, Hernández, tweeted early today that he was looking forward to a "great day of cycling," but a few hours later wrote: "The UCI won't let us participate in Alberto Contador's gran fondo nor enjoy all the fans. We'll be at the finish line and award the prizes."

I think its covered by Antidoping rule 320

A banned rider can't take part in a sanctioned event. Conversely, if the banned rider does participate in an event, UCI licence holders aren't allowed take part - I think in the old days this used to be referred to as the "contamination" rule. I would guess that if Alberto didn't ride, both Paulhino and Hernandez could take part.

Prohibition against Participation during Ineligibility
    320. No License-Holder who has been declared Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility, participate
    in any capacity in an Event or activity (other than authorized anti-doping education or rehabilitation
    programs) authorized, recognized or organized by UCI, a Continental Confederation, a National
    Federation, or any other Signatory, Signatory’s member organization, or a club or other member
    organization of any Continental Confederation or National Federation of UCI or another Signatory or
    Signatory’s member organization, or in Competitions authorized or organized by any professional
    league or any international or national level Event organization.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2012
    Thanks!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I would LOVE if they offered steak as part of the event.

He'd get some serious hero points if he did that.

yes, all entrants should be offered a voucher for 1 steak + 1 blood transfusion..so they can be like Bert
  • kanto
    kanto Posts: 112
    Frenchie, do you have any clips from this ride? It might have been more interesting watching this than some of the Giro stages this year!
  • sunburntknees
    sunburntknees Posts: 272
    I'd ride it if I was in the area.

http://www.marchaalbertocontador.com

Interesting choice of photo for the front of the website. Does he have no shame?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Interesting choice of photo for the front of the website. Does he have no shame?

Come on, it was just a steak :roll:
  • frenchfighter
    So yesterday he went out and had a hard ride in Avila including 3200m of climbing.

Ladies and gentlemen get ready to fasten your seatbelts as the Champion is coming back soon stronger than ever before.

14.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    So yesterday he went out and had a hard ride in Avila including 3200m of climbing.

Ladies and gentlemen get ready to fasten your seatbelts as the Champion is coming back soon stronger than ever before.

14.jpg
    2-1.jpg

But even you have to admit his celebration is utterly naff.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    kanto wrote:
    Frenchie, do you have any clips from t his ride? It might have been more interesting watching this than some of the Giro stages this year!

Havent seen any yet apart from what is on the original site. If I come across any, will post up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Timoid. wrote:
    But even you have to admit his celebration is utterly naff.

I don't think so although agree there are better ones and understand how it can annoy some people. At the end of the day, if a rider wins like he does, they can do as they wish to salute!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    LangerDan wrote:

I think its covered by Antidoping rule 320

I don't think it's anything to do with doping and the presence of a banned rider. It's rule 1.2.019 which basically states that riders can't play with anyone else (including village fetes, cyclosportives and breakaway leagues)

The UCI were reported to be enforcing it in the US last year:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-enforce-rule-barring-pros-from-non-usa-cycling-events
    The UCI's Code 1.2.019 states, "No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI."
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I shouldn't tell them about the Sportive I rode with Nicolas Jalabert and Nicolas Portal then?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Delete.
    Contador is the Greatest