Help, can i space my crank away from frame?

festa2
festa2 Posts: 36
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

following on from me fitting a double and bash with 38-24 chainrings, and after todays maiden voyage ive noticed the 38 ring is very tight to the carbon swingarm on my Zesty 514, theres only about 1mm clearance! so way to close for comfort

So before i put a smaller ring on is there anyway i can space or shim the crank away from the frame on the drive side, only needs to be about 2mm, was wondering if theres anyone whos done this and is it even a good idea?

Cranks a SLX Hollotec 11

cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You could put the non drive side 2.5mm spacer on the driveside (if a 68mm shell) - but not something I'd recommend as there may not be enough threads in the shell for support after.
  • festa2
    Just put it back how it was from factory, it's just where I've gone from a triple to a double the middle ring was a 32 now a 38 so a lot bigger and hence tight up to the chain stay.

I've just put the original 32 back and is fine so think for now I'll see how I get on with that, will just mean a bit of a top end lose..
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    1mm of flex in the swingarm that close to the pivot would be worrying, I'd have thought. You'd be looking at 15mm or so at the axle if that was the case.
  • JDRfive
    JDRfive Posts: 72
    I had the same problem with the same crankset! I just put another 2.5mm spacer before the BB cup on the driveside and removed one from the non drive side, and it's been fine ever since. Check your BB width and make sure you have the correct number of spacers put on.
    Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
    08 Orange 224
  • festa2
    thanks for reply, its a push fit BB on Zesty's so dont think i can add spacers? i was thinking more on the lines of putting a shim or spacer on the crank shaft so it sits between the crank arm and outer face of the BB so moving the whole crank over a few mm..

im thinking may just be best to stick with the original 32t ring or try a 36t one...