When Mountain Biking was Hardcore

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited May 2012 in The Crudcatcher
non of this pansy ass body armoured riding of today, men in flimsy body hugging suits tossing themself down a hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cthQ0pAG ... ure=relmfu
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    they are only doing 10 mph.........

if you were running a super v or similar

real hardcore-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWgfEu_oVI
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    estampida wrote:
    Not quite as slow as 10mph, but yeah, pretty slow. But then, back in those days, tyres were crap, bike gemoetries were crap, and brakes were crap. Despite what many vintage bike aficionados will tell you :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    estampida wrote:
    Not quite as slow as 10mph, but yeah, pretty slow. But then, back in those days, tyres were crap, bike gemoetries were crap, and brakes were crap. Despite what many vintage bike aficionados will tell you :lol:
    Some of us vintage riders were crap as well. Or should that be are.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    but thats the point

93 brit race - rigid bikes on almost flat ground, in tennis shorts

94 - big pro race (us) - full sus, disk brakes, full face helmets, core savers - 18 years later hit glen tress or inners (for me) and whats every one wearing to a certain point.....

around about that time a guy died in a uci race in practice (name - I thought it was francois lolo but a google shows no hits, anyone remember?) but the crash was televised live

the safety has changed a lot in 18 years or so but the dangers are still there, just people are less aware of them or have less career ending crashes (no complaints about that)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    estampida wrote:
    but thats the point

93 brit race - rigid bikes on almost flat ground, in tennis shorts

94 - big pro race (us) - full sus, disk brakes, full face helmets, core savers - 18 years later hit glen tress or inners (for me) and whats every one wearing to a certain point.....

around about that time a guy died in a uci race in practice (name - I thought it was francois lolo but a google shows no hits, anyone remember?) but the crash was televised live

the safety has changed a lot in 18 years or so but the dangers are still there, just people are less aware of them or have less career ending crashes (no complaints about that)
    Sorry, what was the point?
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Sorry, what was the point?

^^This^^
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    the point of the original thread was just looking back, how pathetic does mountain biking and d/s look as a sport, and also the funny offs
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mountain biking was bloody awful back then. Kids these days, don't know they're born, etc.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • OCLV74
    OCLV74 Posts: 53
    It's good to see along with the evolution of bikes and componentry, face-planting these days has also evolved to be far more damaging! Mind that person running with the bike over the shoulder at 3.10 then crashing as they tried to get on, did make me laugh, winner of most embarassing off for that year easily.
    It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.
  • Bike limbo was really exciting, I thought,