Cruise or balls out???

davegore2005
davegore2005 Posts: 87
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
I find that on the way to work, even with the wind on my back I am in no real rush to get there (on my 3 mile commute), but I still try to catch the rider in front wherever I see them....but on the way home, even after a ten or eleven hour day in work with a lot of walking and lifting it's balls out on the way home, really go for it and try to push as hard as I can...strike a chord??

Dave

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    I go balls out both ways. Try timing yourself on the way in and then beating yourself the next time, gives you something to aim for. On the way back I just want to get home so that is self explanatory (I still race myself though!).
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    strike a chord??

Dave

Nope. I tend to ride based on how I feel. If I'm feeling in the mood I give it some.If I'm not, I just take it easy.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I set off every day with the intention of taking my time and enjoying the scenery and keeping a careful eye out for all the mad drivers. Then someone has the cheek to overtake me (even worse if they are on a fixie) - then it's balls out for the whole 12 miles!

Damn I wish I could grow up! (no I don't really)
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I have 16 miles to go each way. If I'm due in the office all week then balls out isn't really an option as I'd be knackered by Tuesday. I have to be pretty strict with myself to take it easy.

Cycling home on Friday is the only time I really go for it.
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    I try not to ride with my balls out as it sometimes offends. Looks good though :mrgreen:
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    Balls out ... Cool ! :mrgreen:

In fact with the frost this morning, bloody freezing.

The serious answer is that sometimes I set off with the intention of a gentle cruise but rarely do I actually achieve that as there is inevitably another rider to beat, or vehicle to draft, or gap in the traffic, or strava segment, or suddenly remebered appointment, or any number of other things. This means I end up a sweaty, heavy breathing wreck far too often, having saved probably only 30-40 seconds on thew time anyway.