what to do with a spare frame?

Yukirin
Yukirin Posts: 231
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I pulled my car crash victim out of the shed, need to do something with it.
It is a raleigh steel hybrid frame, quite heavy (and intact from the crash) loads of clearence, eyes for guards and panniers. V brake lugs and some steel forks, seems like it has an extra long rear triangle to the frame and diagonal rear dropouts.
Got an ok spare set of wheels kicking about I also need to do something with, 7 speed hub, good tyres on.
Now, do I just sell it all and put the money towards more stuff for my good bike? (and I secretly want a sperm...I mean aero helmet)
Or
do I do a velo solo style single speed job on the cassette and make a winter/ss low maintenance hack? Might be a p.i.t.a. With the dropouts, not much travel left and right for chain tension.
Or
Keep the gears on and as above minus the low maintenance?
Other suggestions? Needs to be cheap!

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Frankenpubhackpartsbin time!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    SimonAH wrote:
    Frankenpubhackpartsbin time!
    That's the best plan. Failing that give it to me. I'll even come and get it from wherever you are. :lol:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Seriously, anyone want an almost immaculate Vanquish frame in white with black and red detailing in a 56ish frame? Taking up space at the mo.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    SimonAH wrote:
    Seriously, anyone want an almost immaculate Vanquish frame in white with black and red detailing in a 56ish frame? Taking up space at the mo.
    Possibly. Thinking of building up something more road orientated for the boy to ride to school. Frankenbike with knobblies isn't ideal. Presumably that would be about right for a 6' tall and growing fast 13 year old.
    I was about to bid on this.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Possibly. Thinking of building up something more road orientated for the boy to ride to school. Frankenbike with knobblies isn't ideal. Presumably that would be about right for a 6' tall and growing fast 13 year old.
    I was about to bid on this.

how much taller do think he'll get?

Any how more than welcome to look at this

6222268235_67c1e744ed_z.jpg

Has lost a few parts though most have just gone to the shed, though no wheels.

rather lacking space so been pondering what to do with it, I'm just up the river so more than welcome to have an gander at it. it was a quick solid bike.

if your son likes it welcome to have it.
  • veronese68
    That would be good Roger, thank you. I was just thinking Simon is a long way off. Would I be able to take a look sometime next week? I've got a spare set of nasty wheels that would do for now and various other bits around the garage.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    That would be good Roger, thank you. I was just thinking Simon is a long way off. Would I be able to take a look sometime next week? I've got a spare set of nasty wheels that would do for now and various other bits around the garage.

sure I'll PM you.
  • veronese68
    Yukirin, if you want to frankenpubbikehack it I've got some old V brakes and bits that may be of use. Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM my number.
    Apologies for the earlier thread highjack.