Giro remedy fit and fit of other full face helmets

tee1
tee1 Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey

I'm looking to buy my first full face helmet and am considering a giro remedy but am a bit stuck with sizing at the mo. Hoping someone can help me out please.

My heed is 56cm and ive got a small face, I took an hours drive today to try on the remedy which the store only had in a medium. Now the medium is listed as 55cm to 59cm so here's me thinkig there must be some sort of addition padding provided to adjust the sizing but there was nothing, I checked several boxes to make sure. With no way to adjust the size of the helmet the medium was hugh. Am I missing something here? How would I go about adjusting for the size range from 55-59cm. The remedy did seem like a good shape for my head which is why i'm keen on it.

I'm going to have to mail order with no lbs but ive already had 2 unsuccessful helmet purchase attemps this week and its getting expensive posting things back.

Cheers
t

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you have not tried enough helmets on yet.

Sorry head in more. That is the only way to be sure.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tee1
    tee1 Posts: 5
    Hey mate

Yeah I know, dont have much choice though im afraid. No lbs that stocks full faces and non I can borrow. Mail order is my only option :(
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,778
    I've got one of these in a medium and its a good fit for my 58cm head/narrowish face - not sure how you'd adjust the size as it didn't come with any inserts. The only thing I can think of is that the padding is quite soft and maybe accommodates a range of head sizes?

I ordered from somewhere that does free returns (CRC) as I had the same concern over fitting and couldn't find anywhere that had one in stock near me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    661 are good if you have a narrow head
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The OP is right getting a ff that fits is a right PITA. The lbs kindly helped me out by getting three helmets 661/Giro/Fox in for me to try.

There are no spare pads with any of them they either fit or they don't. I have a Giro-shaped head and the Remedy was my first choice but the Fox Rampage was better for me it fits all over like a motorbike helmet. The Rampage comes in five (maybe six) different sizes.