New Bike - Servicing?

cameronb
cameronb Posts: 102
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
After not having a bike for 10 years ive just bought a trek 6500 and seems to be a good bike for the grand i paid. I just wondered if anyone could really help me with how they look after their bike, mostly how you wash it after a muddy ride and also how often you service things like check brakes, tire pressure etc, stupid questions i know but havent really got an idea of how to look after it, any help appreciated, thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whenever they need it really - no set intervals, depends on how, where and how often you ride.
    Most things get a cursory check each ride, like making sure quick releases are done up properly. Tyres now and again, forks and shock - I check sag now and again, but neither seem to lose air really.
    Lube depends on conditions, chain now and again in dry weather, every few rides in bad weather.
    Cleaning depends on how muddy it is, and how ebergetic I feel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    what products for cleaning? can you just blast it with a hose?
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    On cleaning visit your lbs Nd get some biodegradable cleaner that you mix with water, and just wash with warm water bucket and a brush I don't use a power washer I do although use a wide span trigger hose after to clean off the suds and any loose dirt.
    Quick lube chain afterwards and I store mine in the dining room! :-)
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    Bikes have come along in leaps and bounds but given what your average MTBer does with them they do need some TLC. I have left my Cube without looking agyter it for a few days and I find the chain goes first. Avoid jet washing but go for some hot soapy water as previously mentioned - do NOT use washing up liquid. Oiling is a good idea after washing as you'll wash a load off when you clean it but dont go mad. Best bet is to get on the bike and see how it feels, is it squeaking or not feeling right - you will get a feel for it and decide what need to be done. If you are odd like me, you may find cleaning the bike therapeutic and clean it each time, (yes, I am sad)

:D
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Give the bike the once over before every ride - brakes, gears, play in the headset, check nuts tightened, tyre pressures, fork pressures, etc.

Cleaning wise then can wash off the crud with just water, or can use a cleaner like Muc Off or similar. Keep the chain lubed up.

After a few rides things will start to bed in and set up will need adjusting - cables will stretch so expect gears to need some adjustment.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco