2k all mountain bike.

bragawd
bragawd Posts: 160
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
OK the time has come for me to decide. these are the runners.

1 Giant Trance x 2
2 Cube stereo pro
3 trek fuel ex 7
4 Ghost AMR 5900

don't wanna go down the canyon road though even though they're well spec'd

Comments

• Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    Out of those I'd go for the Trance I've ridden the Stereo and it's shocking tbh! How about a Scott Genius 50?
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    None of those are really 'AM' bikes, they're trail bikes.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    Although slightly over budget there is a couple of santa cruz bikes that you may want to take a look at. Full bike builds start at £2099 and £2399 respectively
    http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/heckler
    http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/butcher
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    AM bikes are typically 160-180mm travel, but I'm being anal.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    The Cube Fritzz maybe an alternative? £2099 and a cracking bike - much better than the stereo !
    The other alternative is the Scott Genius or even the Genius LT.

The Cubes are hard to find as I couldn't find one Locally when looking, I'd suggest test riding something as that's a lot of wongo to part with !.
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Those are all trail bikes, not AM bikes. What sort of riding do you want to do?
    I ride an AM bike, my Reign X has 170mm travel, slack geometry, coil suspension with big 35mm fork stanchions and a heavy but solid frame. I can do anything from xc to DH on it. That's more like an AM bike.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I got the Trance and a Zesty which is a 140mm travel and the Trance will go anywhere the Zesty will, awesome bike
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • bragawd
    OK guys maybe it should have been 2k trail rather than AM ... but thanks for the ideas.. just checking over the fritz SL but it looks a bit heavy .
  • bragawd
    oh just like to add.... that most of my riding in N.Wales Llandegla,marin.penmachno and CYB trail with local natural stuff mixed in.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Trance would be great for that sort of riding, I had a 2010 Trance X3 & it was great, does a lot more than you expect of a 120mm travel bike.
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    I ride similar to you and have been using a trance for 3 years however beenoverriding the bike, had to upgrade brakes, wheels, chain set to get it to cope really and now at the point of needing something like a nerve am, enduro, Zesty etc

If you just want to stick to trails etc the trance is a good choice but if you like the technical, drops and bumps I would look at the ones I am considering
  • rockmonkeysc
    Zesty won't take much more than a Trance. You would be surprised what a Trance can take. I did drops up to 5 foot on mine and some fairly large jumps. Rock gardens are ok as long as you have good technique.
    Giant's pro freeriders have been using Trances as slopestyle bikes for years & they use them for 4X and dual slalom races (Crankworx & Sea Otter).
    You don't need anything like an Enduro. Canyon Nerve is just a long travel trail bike, similar to the zesty & remedy.
    I sold my Trance & bought a Reign X & built it in to a mini downhill bike because I wanted to do more freeride & downhill racing.
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    Zesty won't take much more than a Trance. You would be surprised what a Trance can take. I did drops up to 5 foot on mine and some fairly large jumps. Rock gardens are ok as long as you have good technique.
    Giant's pro freeriders have been using Trances as slopestyle bikes for years & they use them for 4X and dual slalom races (Crankworx & Sea Otter).
    You don't need anything like an Enduro. Canyon Nerve is just a long travel trail bike, similar to the zesty & remedy.
    I sold my Trance & bought a Reign X & built it in to a mini downhill bike because I wanted to do more freeride & downhill racing.

I broke mine.....
    Mind you it was the red downhill at fort bill that really killed it
    It did ok for 3 years and I did start with a trance x 5 but brakes were shocking and rear shock just wouldn't take the pace

Loved it though and a hell of a lot of bike for the money at the time
  • MarkHod1
    MarkHod1 Posts: 21
    Have you had a look at at the Vitus Escape 1 from Chain Reaction Cycles? 140mm, decent weight great spec and gets 4* rating on this site RRP is £1749 but have 10% off at the moment. I think it covers all the bases for you and leaves a nice bit of change in your pocket.
  • Dartster
    Dartster Posts: 56
    I've got a cube stereo 'the one' and its a cracking bike.....you can't beat cube for value for money when it comes to the parts its equipped with.

By the way, it has 'All Mountain' Stamped on it...not that those two words really mean that much in reality :wink:

Theres 3 of us in the group i ride with who ride Cubes....2 x Stereo's and 1 x Fritzz. Neither of us really have a bad word to say about em and all of us would recommend one.

The Stereo is a cracking all round bike.