Advice needed! Sold wrong spec bike...

Cubist
Cubist Posts: 73
edited May 2012 in MTB general
A few months ago I purchased a 2012 cube acid from a cube dealer. It was advertised on their website as having a rockshox recon silver tk air 100mm poplock fork. Having taken a good look at the fork and compared it to a friends recon silver air, it would appear that the fork on my bike is the coil version of the fork!
The cube website also clearly states that the 2012 acid has the air versionfork and shows a picture of the rear of the fork, complete with the settings sticker that comes on the air fork.
Please advise.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So have you spoken to the dealer?

But easy enough to work out if you have air forks, there'll be a valve on top of the fork.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But according to this they have coil
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Acid-Mount ... _48269.htm

And this they have air
    http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/cube- ... -2012/8873

But spec can differ.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    What did it say on your receipt? May be a good start to see what you have been actually sold not what they are currently advertising. Websites change constantly.
  • Cubist
    gezebo wrote:
    What did it say on your receipt? May be a good start to see what you have been actually sold not what they are currently advertising. Websites change constantly.

The receipt just says "cube acid". No rundown of components. It was sold as a complete bike.
  • Cubist
    cooldad wrote:
    But according to this they have coil
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Acid-Mount ... _48269.htm

And this they have air
    http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/cube- ... -2012/8873

But spec can differ.

At the time i bought the bike, Surosa cycles' site listed it as having the air fork (via a link to the cube website). I bought the bike from their store. That was the spec they were advertising it as having.
  • gezebo
    Compare the cost of your bike to advertised one, maybe there are 2 different prices?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the small print. Specs can change and do. If you were not happy with why di you not return it immediately?

If you have been using it you are in a reduced position as by using it you have accepted it and there is actually nothing wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with coil forks. Even a bit more reliable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are not buying the bike from Cube: you are buying it from some dealer. So it depends what the dealer is advertising. If you have bought online from that dealer, and it is advertising a spec yet it turns up different, you have a right for recourse.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    nicklouse is mostly correct with the exception of the comment on small print, since its intention is to say they can change the spec. Any attempt to say the description is subject to change, as a way of avoiding the consequences of mis-describing the product will likely be nulled by the unfair terms in consumer contracts act.

If you relied on the advert when making your purchase then you have an argument that this description formed part of the product description and thus the product is not as described. "A few months" means your right to rescind the contract is almost certainly no longer available, however you may still have a remedy with the seller. There is an argument that you have accepted the product and the amendments.

If you can establish the description formed part of the contract then a reasonable remedy will be along the lines of money off or a contribution to the cost of the upgrade. It will be very small.

However if you went in the shop saw the bike, bought it assuming it was as per advertised spec, but made no reference to the description advertised then you haven't been sold by description. If you went to the web, printed the description out and went in and said - that one please. then you have a claim.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Have you spoke to the shop about it yet?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Cubist
    Spoke to the shop owner and he told me that cube dont specify an air fork on the acid and that the link to it on the surosa cycles site doesnt specify it either (although its just basically a link to the cube site). Could someone please give this a lookover to see whether or not im mistaken?
    He also said that the fork on my acid is a coil fork and that the "air" reference is to an "air cartridge" in the fork.
  • supersonic
    You should be able to see if it is a coil or not by looking at the adjusters - does it have a preload knob or air valve?
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    What does it say on the fork??

Does it say Recon Silver TK?

If so, according to SRAMs own website there is only on Recon Silver TK, which has coil and air.......

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/r ... /term-id/7

Is this the fork you have - and dont forget, the stickers change!!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • cooldad
    Read again
    There is a coil or a solo air.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cubist
    supersonic wrote:
    You should be able to see if it is a coil or not by looking at the adjusters - does it have a preload knob or air valve?

Its definately a coil on my bike - I was never in any doubt about that. Im just wondering if you guys agree with me that surosa and cube both state its an air fork on their websites. Plus, take a look at the photo of the rear of the acids fork on the cube website - im sure I see the sticker you find on the solo air fork.
  • cooldad
    How come it took so long before you worked it out. You'd normally set up the forks before riding it for the first time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    Yep, they do.

The coil version is smoother than the air though, is a great fork.
  • gezebo
    Ask yourself is it really worth the hassle? You've got a nice bike, a good fork and you've had it months already...
  • Cubist
    gezebo wrote:
    Ask yourself is it really worth the hassle? You've got a nice bike, a good fork and you've had it months already...

Very good point! I just thought it was worth getting a few opinions.
    Seeing as Im intending to upgrade the bike gradually anyway, i agree - i dont want to embark upon some kind of crusade. I just think manufacturers and suppliers should be very careful when they advertise. Thanks for the input and advice. Im not unhappy with the forks as such. It was just I wanted to know if it was just me being a bit daft or if the forks were not as advertised.
  • Cubist
    cooldad wrote:
    How come it took so long before you worked it out. You'd normally set up the forks before riding it for the first time.

It wasnt so much a case of having bought the bike, expecting the recon air, as having re-examined the product spec online and wondering what was going on. Again, thanks to everyone for establishing that I wasnt going barmy!
  • supersonic
    It is only advertised incorrectly if you bought it on line. Manufacturers routinely change spec on bikes (they are not the ones advertising it, the retailer is), as certain parts may be hard to get. You see this quite a lot.

However if the web advert implied that the same model in the actual shop ahd the spec, and you could not have reasonably checked some parts (ie how can you check a bottom bracket in store?) then I believe you could have some recourse.

But as you said, I wouldn't bother now!
  • Cubist
    supersonic wrote:
    It is only advertised incorrectly if you bought it on line. Manufacturers routinely change spec on bikes (they are not the ones advertising it, the retailer is), as certain parts may be hard to get. You see this quite a lot.

However if the web advert implied that the same model in the actual shop ahd the spec, and you could not have reasonably checked some parts (ie how can you check a bottom bracket in store?) then I believe you could have some recourse.

But as you said, I wouldn't bother now!

Im just dead glad that a forum like this exists, where you can bounce stuff like this about. I reckon cycle shops might be best advised to check the spec on what theyre letting through the door - there are a lot of people out there far more predatory and opportunistic than me who would jump on a thing like this.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Am I missing something - was it the retailers website that listed the mistake or the importer or distributor? You seem to now be saying you knew all along it was a coil?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Cubist wrote:
    Im just dead glad that a forum like this exists, where you can bounce stuff like this about. I reckon cycle shops might be best advised to check the spec on what theyre letting through the door - there are a lot of people out there far more predatory and opportunistic than me who would jump on a thing like this.

This would be impossible to do, partly because the shop would have to go through every single bike they have in stock, some models would be kitted slightly different in different sizes and then as it has been pointed out some models in the same sized would have different kit. Imagine how vague websites would end up being.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I have noticed that little gem on websites that manufacturer may reserve the right to change the spec of the bike from that listed. But sometimes it works in your favour, my focus should have come equipped with Suntour epicon forks and came with Fox Talas
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp