The Olympics

13»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Anyone listen to the stuff on 5 Live last night about the Olympic torch and specifically the woman they interviewed regarding protests? After listening to her they could have used me as the torch! She is basically trying to organise all protests by various groups - now, I don't mind people protesting legally but hopefully they won't spoil the games in any way. However, this woman was going on about the anti-apartheid protests at rugby matches and their importance in what happened in South Africa (no argument there) but then went on to argue that any protests at these games will be of equal importance in the fight against 'financial apartheid'. I found that seriously offensive to the people who suffered under the apartheid system in South Africa, I can only assume that as the woman was a student she never really saw the news reports from SA at that time! It reminded me of a similar woman a few months back talking about the removal of that illegal traveller camp as 'ethnic cleansing'.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone listen to the stuff on 5 Live last night about the Olympic torch and specifically the woman they interviewed regarding protests? After listening to her they could have used me as the torch! She is basically trying to organise all protests by various groups - now, I don't mind people protesting legally but hopefully they won't spoil the games in any way. However, this woman was going on about the anti-apartheid protests at rugby matches and their importance in what happened in South Africa (no argument there) but then went on to argue that any protests at these games will be of equal importance in the fight against 'financial apartheid'. I found that seriously offensive to the people who suffered under the apartheid system in South Africa, I can only assume that as the woman was a student she never really saw the news reports from SA at that time! It reminded me of a similar woman a few months back talking about the removal of that illegal traveller camp as 'ethnic cleansing'.

Must.

Not.

Bite.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Go on Rick. Bite.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    french-revolution.jpg

"Financial apartheid". Brilliant! To the barricades, comrades, to the barricades.
    Purveyor of "up" :)