Overshoes what don't chafe

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Another purchase advice thread. I wore my overshoes last night, it was tanking down. Now these are Giordana winter-ish overshoes, and I've worn them with longs quite happily. Last night, however, I was in shorts, and the zip up the back of them has worn a hole in my calf. It knacks, but I was dead brave and didn't cry at all.

I'm assuming that a more summer-weight overshoe would be better with shorts, so I'm looking for recommendations for non-chafing overshoes which are durable and a bit waterproof. Any ideas?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wear them on your feet and not shoved down your shorts?

Why would anyone shove overshoes down their shorts? What kind of person are you?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Another purchase advice thread. I wore my overshoes last night, it was tanking down. Now these are Giordana winter-ish overshoes, and I've worn them with longs quite happily. Last night, however, I was in shorts, and the zip up the back of them has worn a hole in my calf. It knacks, but I was dead brave and didn't cry at all.

I'm assuming that a more summer-weight overshoe would be better with shorts, so I'm looking for recommendations for non-chafing overshoes which are durable and a bit waterproof. Any ideas?

I have suffered the same problem and have not got a pair that don't rub. I find if I leave the zip a cm or so from the top though I'm fine, alternatively you could find some socks that meet the top of your overshoes when you wear them or wear longer ones and turn them down out of sight.
  • Long socks?

Or if you are that way inclined, stockings?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    planet x have some that use velcro instead of a zip - not that waterproof tbh but still....
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Long socks?

Or if you are that way inclined, stockings?

Goes with the shaved legs......
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    2nd Planet X, I've worn them with shorts dozens of times. Dirt cheap too.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    You live in Scotland. What possible use could you have for summer overshoes?
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Funnily enough I was in Evans today (St Pauls) looking at overshoes, following my 'overshoes' thread.

After trying a few on I think I'll stick with my Endura ones. Yes, they're a tad heavy for summer... but I don't see much evidence of summer yet, and they keep my feet dry and don't chafe with trainer socks and shorts...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    planet x have some that use velcro instead of a zip - not that waterproof tbh but still....
    I picked up some of these for a tenner a while back, no chaffing but they didn't withstand the hail and rail on the way home tonight. I had some Pro race before which were water tight and didn't chafe.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • You live in Scotland. What possible use could you have for summer overshoes?

Quite, winter all year round, TBH.