riding when ill

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I have the whole of tomorrow morning to do a training ride (a rare thing these days) weather looks set to stay dry and the bike is dialed everythings set for great morning. Thing is I've been suffering from this stomach bug for the last week, if I say 'deli-belly' you get the picture. Do I stick to the immodium and risk it? I'm quite concern about dehydration vs taking in more liquids and being miles from home. Any ideas? what would you do? staying at home is not an option, it's been far too long since I've had the chance for a really good ride.
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    Don't do it man -
    If you got Deli-belly then you won't be absorbing all the vitamins you need to ride a bike. You'll be feeling run down and chances are if you go too far your going to blow. Your body will then use all it's energy to get you home instead of fighting the infection and this will set you back a couple of days.
    Suck it up, enjoy the rest and go at it hammer and tongs once you've recovered. Trust me, I've been there.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah. Take it easy.

If it's not affecting anything other than the stuff flying out of your arse then you'll be fine. If you're obviously weakened by it, a good ride won't do it any good.
  • Peanutt
    Reckon I might see how I feel in the morning, my legs feel weaker but not so weak I couldn't ride, In my head I know Storckspeed is right but damn, I really want to get out there. If I do go I could always take a spare pair of shorts. Gonna hit the hydration drinks this evening
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Peanutt wrote:
    Reckon I might see how I feel in the morning, my legs feel weaker but not so weak I couldn't ride, In my head I know Storckspeed is right but damn, I really want to get out there. If I do go I could always take a spare pair of shorts. Gonna hit the hydration drinks this evening

It's more the impact on your body.

Exercise strains it. Fine when you're healthy, but if your body is busy with enough sh!t from your illness, it won't take kindly to a big effort.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Peanutt wrote:
    the bike is dialed everythings set for great morning.

Is this about MTB's :?:
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I wouldn't do it. I've been in your shoes before and done it - felt ok at the time, but really suffered later.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    excersise and illness never mix well. i personally have had a bad bug for the last week and have reluctantly avoided any cycling at all, you never gain anything cycling when ill.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Peanutt
    Yeah I guess you're right, in fact I k now you're right. Typical, first dry weekend for bleedin months too.

Shame they don't have cycling for the wii
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Peanutt wrote:
    Shame they don't have cycling for the wii

If you ride a bike with Dehli belly, they do. :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Peanutt
    Ok, I did try but in the end I caved, felt a tad better this morning so thought I'd risk it, kept it to a quiet 30 miler, average flat speed 16/17mph and didn't drop below 9mph on the hills (didn't go above 9 either!!) found it quite enjoyable not going full out. Physically I don't feel any the worse for it but I am extremely tired can barely stay awake.