Rim Advice

fat_homer
fat_homer Posts: 470
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I know this gets asked quite a bit and I’ve done plenty of reading and still can’t make up my mind.

I’m hopefully looking at getting a new wheelset for my Soul to replace the Hope XC/Mavic 717 (which there’s not a lot wrong with and will be donated to the other half) combo and can’t decide between Stans Crest and Arch EX rims.

I weigh in at about 85kg kitted up and generally do what I guess you’d class as trail riding, both natural and at trail centres and tend to shy away from big jumps and drops.

So what would people suggest??

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I'm a similar weight if not a tad bit more and I like getting a bit of air time. Not massive dirt jump style but if I see a natural lip on the trail I like to give it a go. I've been running Crests on my hardtail for well over a year now and they've stood up well. I dinged the rear rim when I was in the Lake District but I put this down to my mistake was a very dodgy landing with very low pressures in my tyres. I still rode with the wheel for ages and it was fine.

If your a more wheels on the ground kinda rider or have a nice smooth style I'm sure the Crests will be more than strong enough they were for me. But if like me you like to get a bit of air just not massive amounts then go for the Arch EX.