Double Lever

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited May 2012 in The workshop
The Dura Ace LH double brake lever I have on the CX no longer seems willing to shift down, is it likely to be the lever or front mech (I think I know the answer but am hoping for an alt)?

Previously when shifting down, there would be an audible click and it would shift, when going back up to the big ring you'd move the lever and you could feel things moving and it would click to lock. Now when you move to the small ring you press the lever and nothing happens, you can still move the mech to the small ring (with a foot) but it's as though the cable's not being released.

Any views?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New cables.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    remove the cable from the bolt on the mech. Does it spring back to the small ring.

Either the spring in the mech is knackered, so the lever releases the cable but the mech just sits there because there's no tension to pull it down. Or the lever is knackered, so the mech is pulling on the cable, you push the lever and no cable is released so it can't move.

Sounds like the former to me. Which is good as it's cheaper.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gbsahne001
    Thanks for the replies, should have thought about it before posting and had found where the problem lies on the way home last night.

Suspect it's the front mech, as the lever releases the cable; slack after being released. As Balls say's it's cheaper, especially as I think I've got a spare kicking around in the house; need to fix it before the ride tomorrow though.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Maybe it just needs a clean? Release the cable clamp so you can move the mech with your hand, flush it through with WD40 and push/pull it through its full range of motion manually until it loosens up, then run some heavier oil in there.

All moving parts on a bike require maintenance, not just chain and hubs.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Just a thought, but these are worth a try. The store is showing none in stock at the moment, but the new batch should be ready for shipping any day now. You'll need some bar-end or down-tube shifters with them.

http://retroshift.com/

I fitted a pair on my Trek Pilot a few weeks ago. Personally I prefer them to the 105 brifters they replaced, but I won't pretend they will be everyone's cup of tea.
  • gbsahne001
    DesWeller wrote:
    Maybe it just needs a clean? Release the cable clamp so you can move the mech with your hand, flush it through with WD40 and push/pull it through its full range of motion manually until it loosens up, then run some heavier oil in there.

This was going to be my first port of call, having established that the lever is releasing the cable. Thankfully 20 mins spent on Sat. afternoon, with some GT-85 and it's moving OK now.

Yesterday's ride without the double would have been a ball ache