How do you keep riding fun?

2»

Comments

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Try slow racing - I do this with the kids to enhance their balance and mine- between two points you have ride as slowly as you can, no stopping for more than 3sec, no feet down and no big deviations from lines.
    This week I also went out with my local club and bonked big time after 3 hours, it made the lonely ride home interesting :?
    TBH though I do find MTB more "interesting" and "fun" than road riding, in Scotland you can pretty much ride anywhere you like so there is a constant source of new routes to be try.
    Going to look up this Strava thing, sounds good.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I've started riding to my girlfriend's house. Mainly when the wife's using the car.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    KHodge wrote:
    How about setting yourself a goal such as a multiday ride, or weight loss?

one of my current goals is in there
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    KHodge wrote:
    That's why we do it right? Because it's fun. But if you always feel the need to train hard and long to succeed in a big event you can lose some of the fun of it all. What do you do to keep it fresh and enjoyable? Best answers might be used in Cycling Plus!

Wrong.

You do it to feel pain to remind yourself that you are alive. You do it when everything comes together and you feel like a cycling God for a few moments of utter perfection, you do it to sh*t all over your mates on that climb, get to the top and disappear. You do it, so when you get back to work on Monday after racing/club run/sportive on the weekend, spending a few hours at the end of your physical rope, and a colleague asks good weekend ? You can think, Good ?, good ?, you'll never know how good matey unless you ride yourself. Riding is like kicking a big bad dog time and time again, push, push and push again for some seconds of pure endorphin fuelled panacea that nothing else will ever touch. Fun? Fcuk that, its pain and torture and sweat and heartrate and its fcucking excellent.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    I started jumping red lights, hoping on and off the kerb. I find this really puts an edge on my ride :wink:

Seriously... switched from a MTB to a road bike, downloaded Strava. Never knew I was so competitive :twisted:
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    DMC -2.0 up above is right - bollox to this nice scenery tat riding along with a gay club rubbish: its about going out with your mates having a laugh but at the same time you know that you are out to crush each other and inflict as much pain and humiliation onto each other as possible. Then going racin' and crushing the clubbites and showing them severe pain before heading off and laughing your head off with your mates about it all.

Rule 5 applies at all times.

Pain, is after all, just weakness escaping the body.

You are there to crush everything and everyone in sight. If I want to ride slow I'll become old.

That and masturbation in fields. One of the two really. Depends if its raining or not.
  • KHodge
    KHodge Posts: 27
    Revisiting this - any new thoughts on keeping things fun? Thanks
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Strava.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Cycling up to the pharmacy to collect the pills for my bad back caused by....cycling.Oh the delicious irony.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Change positions, dress up, introduce toys or try other women (oops, I mean bikes). :oops:
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Get out well before its light. Real quiet and see the sun come up/

This week i had a barn owl appear over the hedge and fly along side me, just for a few seconds, magical.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Play chicken with the traffic
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    KHodge wrote:
    That's why we do it right? Because it's fun. But if you always feel the need to train hard and long to succeed in a big event you can lose some of the fun of it all. What do you do to keep it fresh and enjoyable? Best answers might be used in Cycling Plus!

Wrong.

You do it to feel pain to remind yourself that you are alive. You do it when everything comes together and you feel like a cycling God for a few moments of utter perfection, you do it to sh*t all over your mates on that climb, get to the top and disappear. You do it, so when you get back to work on Monday after racing/club run/sportive on the weekend, spending a few hours at the end of your physical rope, and a colleague asks good weekend ? You can think, Good ?, good ?, you'll never know how good matey unless you ride yourself. Riding is like kicking a big bad dog time and time again, push, push and push again for some seconds of pure endorphin fuelled panacea that nothing else will ever touch. Fun? Fcuk that, its pain and torture and sweat and heartrate and its ******* excellent.

Oooh, I like the cut of your jib. :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”