What counts as "Doing" a given distance?

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    neeb wrote:
    If you do it all on the same day, don't change out of your cycling kit at any point and don't return to your original starting point until the end, I reckon it counts.

No figure of eights or laps allowed? Noooo, not happy with that one!

I don't think starting point can have anything to do with it though I can see that there is potential for abuse here :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Rolf F wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    If you do it all on the same day, don't change out of your cycling kit at any point and don't return to your original starting point until the end, I reckon it counts.

No figure of eights or laps allowed? Noooo, not happy with that one!

I don't think starting point can have anything to do with it though I can see that there is potential for abuse here :lol:
    Oh, Ok then, maybe laps are allowed, but definitely no returning to your normal place of residence for coffee & a snack in front of the telly - such indulgences must be restricted to cafes!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Ok, I'll propose a rule: it counts as one ride if you don't take your kit off.

So even if you have a 2 hour lunch stop, it still counts as one ride. On the other hand, riding to work, changing, working for 8 hours, then changing again and riding home counts as 2 rides.

Yes?
    What if one goes for a ride with a person of the female persuasion, who is so enamoured of one's finely toned calves and carefully matched seat, handlebar tape and pixie-boots that she requests a brief stop for immediate satisfaction?

In that case a panel of experts appointed by the UCI will assess your performance and determine whether your *ahem* ride should be annulled.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Gizmo_ wrote:

So even if you have a 2 hour lunch stop, it still counts as one ride. On the other hand, riding to work, changing, working for 8 hours, then changing again and riding home counts as 2 rides.

Yes?
    What if one goes for a ride with a person of the female persuasion, who is so enamoured of one's finely toned calves and carefully matched seat, handlebar tape and pixie-boots that she requests a brief stop for immediate satisfaction?

In that case a panel of experts appointed by the UCI will assess your performance and determine whether your *ahem* ride should be annulled.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Yes?
    You'd still be riding... :wink:
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    klep wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Yes?
    You'd still be riding... :wink:
    But my iPhone doesn't have a cadence meter! :lol:
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I like the kit removal distinction, however a discussion of the distance and the time taken should have an asterix if a two hour lunch break was taken I reckon...

That said, the number of miles done is day is a great bit of political spin that I fully intend to start using!! For example, I may do 60km off road during an MTB marathon, but they ll be in 6 laps of 10km, commonly with a 2 - 3 hour break between...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver