where is the brake cable adjuster on my cyclocross bike?

danielsbrewer
danielsbrewer Posts: 123
edited May 2012 in The workshop
I have a Kona Jake 2010 cyclocross bike and I just can't find the brake cable adjuster. This is the first time I have had a bike with drop handlebars and I am used to having a barrel cable adjuster up by the handle bars. Probably a dumb question, but any ideas?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    On the downtube it should be.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Follow the cable from where it leaves the lever to where it enters the brake caliper (disc or rim?). Does anything look like it can be adjusted?

Could be in-line, on the caliper or on the cable stops.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Sorry, I mis read, the downtube adjusters will be for the gears. You may not have barrel adjusters for the brakes if they are the canti type. To adjust you'll need to tweak the cable tension "manually"
  • scrumpydave
    scrumpydave Posts: 143
    Have you got interruptor brakes? Mine are on there.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • danielsbrewer
    They are rim canti brakes, can't see anything that looks like it would do the job.
  • danielsbrewer
    styxd wrote:
    Sorry, I mis read, the downtube adjusters will be for the gears.
    Don't worry I miss typed the title to say bike rather than brake!
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    They are rim canti brakes, can't see anything that looks like it would do the job.

My Colnago World Cup didn't have any either. The LBS mechanic thought that was so poor he fitted a pair of in-line adjusters.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    My 2009(or maybe 2008) Jake has adjusters on the additional levers on the flat section of the bar.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

My Colnago World Cup didn't have any either. The LBS mechanic thought that was so poor he fitted a pair of in-line adjusters.

bc

Likewise with my Tricross so I bought a pair of Jagwire Mickey adjusters and used one on the rear and the front has a Dia-Compe flexy guide pipe.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.