any suggestions budget £400-£500 and any mtbs with long fork

connoraslett96
connoraslett96 Posts: 32
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
hey guys im new to mountain biking, well i had a look around and to be honest all i can find is hardtail mountain bikes with really short travel, i dont want to do XC riding or any competing for that matter, just something that is tough with long travel, i havent fully established what riding style i wanna do but something like downhill just not as quick, lpease help me out i already had a go on some full suspension bikes and i hate them, to me it feels so numb and personally i cant feel whats going on with the bike, so please help me out, also is halfords safe to buy because i was looking at this bike product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_840923_langId_-1_categoryId_165499 i originally got a really low end apollo phaze but with the centos the forks look okay but i would just upgrade the brakes and speeds, thanks again and thanks fr reading :)

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I think the Voodoo Hoodoo (£500) or Bantu (£400) might be of interest to you. Bit more expensive than the link you provide, but both have 120mm travel and a much better spec than the Carrera. At this price point it's better to just spend the money up front as it will go further than trying to upgrade bits yourself.

Buying from Halfords should be ok, but they're a mixed bunch. Some of their staff know what they're doing, some have no idea. Bit like a lot of places! Take it to LBS for a service after buying if you're concerned and not too technically minded.
  • okay thats great thanks for your help and will they be able to put up with the abuse i give it, i am rather aggressive and wanna take it up some tough stuff :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most bikes at this price are designed for xc or general trail riding. There are a few jump bikes, but none are really designed to cope with harder riding, especially DH type stuff.
  • okay thanks for your help, so would you say halfords is a okay place to buy from just very cautious :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, they stock a lot of good bikes at good prices.
  • okay thats great thanks for your help :)
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    After doing a lot or research this was the bike I went for! http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    okay thanks for your help, so would you say halfords is a okay place to buy from just very cautious :)
    The Halfords bikes are fine, they use the same components and are assembled in the same factory as many 'branded' bikes like specialized, the Halfords service itself CAN (far from always) be iffy at times, build a rapport with so someone in the bikehut who seems to know what they are talking about and you'll often get them to do your bike and ensure you get that better level of service, you need to learn to do minor stuff on an MTB anyway as they need minor fettling quite often just due to the nature of the usage I would say mine needs at least 5 times the attention per 100 miles as my road only commuter (which frequantly just needs a quick chain clean/lube and visual check only once a month - circa 150miles use).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • okay thanks again well im considering thr voodoo or a specialized bike the only problem is fondomg one thats got a mixture lf both because if i believe correctly scott use alot lighter franes than thr cerrera and voodoo range and also stronger but im unsure :)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you use the bike for its intended purpose, then all those frames are strong enough
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    Shot by both sides...
  • and which bike do you think will be the lighter one and thanks CFS ill put it onto the list :)