Brakes, why can't you just work?!

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Seems about right for me to have another problem with my brakes going by the amount of threads on the topic by everyone else below :cry:

I have tektro aurigua comp brakes and they have both been recently bled (by me). Recent as in about a month ago. I noticed today while I was out fettling with my bike after a ride earlier, that there seemed to be a tiny amount of fluid leaking out of a screw that holds down the reservoir (on both brakes). This only happens when I pull the lever so it's not constant. The diaphragm is seated properly, as is the reservoir cap, and the two screws are tightened yet somehow fluid is leaking out. :?

Any help (again!) would be great. Someone suggested using loctite on the screw thread, would this sort it? I don't want to contaminate the fluid. Thanks, Adam.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Missing an o-ring? Have a look for an exploded diagram to see?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    People fiddling with their brakes seems to cause more problems than anything else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    I didn't think o-rings could be made that small! I had a look for an exploded diagram but there was nothing online. I could understand losing 1 o-ring but not 4 as none of the other screws have washers/o-rings
  • Greer_
    cooldad wrote:
    People fiddling with their brakes seems to cause more problems than anything else.

Ahh but I had a good reason! :lol: probably right though! I can safely say that my brakes definitely needed bled however!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    edited May 2012
    Greer_ wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Ahh but I had a good reason! :lol: probably right though! I can safely say that my brakes definitely needed bled however!
    What makes you think that?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Greer_ wrote:
    Seems about right for me to have another problem with my brakes going by the amount of threads on the topic by everyone else below :cry:

I have tektro aurigua comp brakes and they have both been recently bled (by me). Recent as in about a month ago. I noticed today while I was out fettling with my bike after a ride earlier, that there seemed to be a tiny amount of fluid leaking out of a screw that holds down the reservoir (on both brakes). This only happens when I pull the lever so it's not constant. The diaphragm is seated properly, as is the reservoir cap, and the two screws are tightened yet somehow fluid is leaking out. :?

Any help (again!) would be great. Someone suggested using loctite on the screw thread, would this sort it? I don't want to contaminate the fluid. Thanks, Adam.
    nothing to worry about if it is what i think.

Pics. it will just be residue moving as the diaphram moves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    Will go out and get pics soon. Thanks
  • Greer_
    nicklouse wrote:
    nothing to worry about if it is what i think.

Pics. it will just be residue moving as the diaphram moves.

7176969786_e65a70d64c_z.jpg

It is the tiny allen key screw on the right. Exact same on the other brake. When I squeze the lever I can see a bubble or two under the screw head