Problems with Clipless Pedals/cleats

baldwin471
baldwin471 Posts: 366
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all, new to the forums. I've recently purchased my first road bike (Boardman team carbon 2011) and I'm extremely happy with it. I have a couple of problems though. The first one is nothing to do with the bike, it's the pedals or cleats. I have Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL pedals, and Shimano SM-SH11 Cleats.

The problem is, and it's only on the left pedal, when i push forwards or pull the leg up when pedalling, i hear a really annoying loud click, almost like it's unclipping but it isn't. I've tightened the cleats into the shoes as tight as they go, so there is no movement in them, and i have about 50% tension in the pedal (Still getting used to SPD-SL, don't want to go too tight too quickly). It's extremely frustrating. Ive also tried three different and brand new cleats on that side and i still get the problem, so I'm pretty sure it's the pedal, but i can't be sure what exactly would cause it.

The second problem, albeit less annoying but still frustrating, is a grinding sound when pedalling. This is in any gear, it sounds like the chain is grinding against something, but i've looked and there is nothing that comes into contact with it.

Hopefully someone can help me out. I don't want to spend £40 on new pedals only to find out it's still happening. Cheers. Alex.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    1. Is it your knee?
    2. The Boardmans have known bb problems, take it back to the shop
  • baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    No it's definitely under the shoe, so Pedal/cleat to blame. What is "bb" problems, sorry complete novice here.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    What is "bb" problems, sorry complete novice here.
    bottom bracket ...http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... tAodf34lDg
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Hi all, new to the forums. I've recently purchased my first road bike (Boardman team carbon 2011) and I'm extremely happy with it. I have a couple of problems though.
    take it back to the bike shop and get them to look at it,bottom bracket is where i would look first TBH