How Far Out is "Out of True"?

Wobbler72
Wobbler72 Posts: 31
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
As a former motorcycle racer I guess I'm pretty anal about wheels being out of true. Back then, even a tiny amount of buckling could throw up some horrible handling issues that meant it was a serious issue.

Thing is, I've noticed that the rear wheel is out of true on my new Secteur. Not by much; maybe 1-2mm or so. I don't "feel" any issue when riding and it's not catching on the brake pads. So ..... does it matter? do I need to get to LBS to get it trued or can I leave it for now?

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Buy a spoke key and DIY.
    I would be unhappy with that much movement but to quote."I'm pretty anal about wheels being out of true. "
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If it is not causing any issue then no need to panic.

Obviously it is not ideal but I have a set of (now) winter wheels that simply will not true up beyond about 1mm out and although I do get some brake rub if really stomping on climbs I did over 800 miles on them without issue.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Depends, is it doing positive and negative truing? Or just one bit is to one side by 2mm? If it's 2mm left and right, then that's quite a bit.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Yes, I'm the same, if I can see the wheel is out of true - even a tiny bit, I fix it. It's easy to DIY if it's only out by a small bit.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    + or - 1mm is usually considered OK by the british standards

However a good mechanic will stop himself when it gets down to + or - 0.1mm
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    1mm probably okay. 2mm is quite a lot.

But if you've never trued a wheel before you'll probably make it worse.
    More problems but still living....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How far is out of true? If you notice, it's out of true :P.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If it were my wheel I'd have it in the stand.
  • lornt78
    lornt78 Posts: 37
    how to true bicycle wheels book

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170838276750
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    lornt78 wrote:
    how to true bicycle wheels book

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170838276750
    I can write that book...

''Bring bike to LBS. The end.''
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    From memory, the British Standard for new bikes is something like 2mm lateral deviation and 5mm radial deviation permittable, but any decent mechanic will endeavour to get rid of any visible deviation e.g. <0.5mm - I used to do the same when doing new bike assembly during my spell as a bike mechanic. The availability of wheel jigs with precision measurement devices means that <0.1mm is perfectly feasible.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..