Anyone having doubts about the Etape Caledonia?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
I am :(
Weather looks like it will be pretty awful and I have to admit that after looking forward to it for the last 6 months I am considering going up and doing it on the Saturday instead when the weather looks a bit better. Not very hardcore I know but the reality is I have to travel away from home on the monday night to work for a couple of weeks and can't risk being ill. Gutted about it but I think common sense may have to prevail. I have already made adjustments to my plans so far, I have decided I will not be using my new carbon bike and it looks like my wife will not be able to accompany me anyway so it's all going a bit Pete Tong at the last minute.

Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Wavering a bit myself TBH, been looking forward to it or a while but the weather forecast looks to be poor and it's a long way in the rain...

As I've already paid for the hotel I am going to travel the four hours to get there on Saturday and then make a decision early Sunday am, if it's blowing a gale and the rain is torrential then I will just head home, if it's not too bad then I'll do it.

The joys of the British weather.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    At the moment it looks like it's going to be windy and the rain's going to start round about midday. That's standard Scottish weather!

Why would you get ill and why would you not be able to ride a carbon bike? Wear warm clothes and, if it gets a bit dirty, wash your bike when you get home.

Poor show.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    I can understand people wavering, it's supposed to be fun and if the weather is such that you wont enjoy it, then it's ovviously your call.

I'll be dissapointed if the weather is really bad and probably a bit concerned that I'll get swept by the broom wagon, but I've been 'training' long enough for it, including hellish sessions on the turbo, so I'll be there!

Plus rain miles count double!
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    I'll be there whatever, and so will my missus.

come on guys, there is no such thing a too cold, just inadequate clothing:)
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    No point fretting about the weather, its out of your control. Come Hell or high water I am doing it, just wrap up warm and get on with it!! Think of the satisfaction of doing it in the worst weather possible, (possibly) :wink: ! Actually looking forward to see if there will be any snow up Schiehallion, it certainly looks like there will be on the summit, just wondering how far down it will come. BRING IT ON!!! :twisted:
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    You're not going up Ventoux, you're climing to approx 381m and there's snow on the top of Schiehallion (700m higher) quite a lot of the year.

Temp is showing 8/9C and even with some strong gusts it's not deep winter. Put some bib tights on!
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Whats the view on appropriate clothing then, i was thinking:

Bib shorts, poss with an old pair of running tights over
    No sleeve 'string vest' base layer
    Gore windstopper short sleeve jersey
    Roubix arm warmers
    Rain jacket (never worn it, might be a boil in the bag number)
    Overshoes
    Toastie socks
    Long finger gore w/stopper glove with liner

Enough? Too much?
  • d4evr
    You're not going up Ventoux, you're climing to approx 381m and there's snow on the top of Schiehallion (700m higher) quite a lot of the year.

Temp is showing 8/9C and even with some strong gusts it's not deep winter. Put some bib tights on!

I am aware of that TGD, I am often up there and other hills all year round. Just curious to see how far it will come down if at all. It was down much lower than normal (for this time of year etc) last week in Glenshee for example.
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    At the moment it looks like it's going to be windy and the rain's going to start round about midday. That's standard Scottish weather!

Why would you get ill and why would you not be able to ride a carbon bike? Wear warm clothes and, if it gets a bit dirty, wash your bike when you get home.

Poor show.

Agreed! I'm already in Scotland having made my way up from Sussex, and heading to Pitlochry tomorrow. This will be my third Etape and the last two years have been fairly kind to us as far as the weather is concerned. This year it looks like it is going to bite back, but it is the Highlands in early May, you have to expect and prepare for the worst and anything better is a bonus!
    I have got my full winter gear with me, plus I even bought some new Conti 4seasons 25mm when I saw the forecast earlier in the week, because I use these tyres on my winter bike and I know they will be far better for grip and puncture resistance for the roads on this route if it is wet than the Pro 3's I use on my summer bike.
    The forecast is for it to stay dry until lunchtime, so that is even more of an incentive to get round as quick as you can before it starts getting wet!
    Have a safe ride everyone, and no matter how grim the weather, try to enjoy it!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Most of my longer rides recently have been in these conditions but riding on my own. It'll be bliss to be riding with others.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    It's my first ever sportive, can't wait as I have been out training all winter around the Perthshire hills. I will be glad of the company (shelter) from othe riders for a change. Wave O 6 58 riding a blue Cube, nae tights and a wooly jumper. Not sure what it means but MTFU
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Obviously would prefer about 20 degrees, sunny and a tailwind all the way round but still really looking forward to it. I put in plenty of miles in the wind and rain during the winter (looking forward to the sunny days to come which havent arrived yet obviously!) and if im wearing the right gear then i dont mind the poor weather too much.

Last week i got caught out with the weather and suffered with the cold and wet but that was purely due to not being prepared and being in short sleeve top with armwarmers + shorts combination rather than the weather itself. With the right gear on you'll be fine and will enjoy the ride whatever the weather maybe.
  • crescent
    Poor show it may be but I do not subscribe to the whole 'sufferfest' approach to cycling, I would like to enjoy it first and foremost, I've looked forward to it for too long not to! My point about illness and not using my 'best' bike just reflect my personal opinion that inclement weather increase the chances of harming me or my bike through being cold and wet for long periods of time or falling off. Using my Allez is no great hardship though, it will do the job admirably I'm sure. To be honest the weather is just the latest in a sequence of disappointments regarding my whole Etape experience, last week I was pumped about it and looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere on Saturday, nice meal, nice hotel etc but with my wife no longer able to make it it looks more like it will be just that bit less of a special occasion and I have had to rearrange a few of my existing plans at the last minute. As it stands though, I will be there at 06:58 on Sunday morning with probably far too much clothing. Like many others it seems I am pinning my hopes on it staying dry in the morning, I was hoping to be finished by midday(ish).

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Omar Little
    Its good that you are going up and taking the bike with you - when you sign up the day before and particularly when you see all the cyclists lining up ready to go on sunday you'll feel alot better about it all and get caught up in the excitement - as an event there are very few like it in the UK in terms of numbers and atmosphere.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Anyone do the first one - in 2007? I did and I've done them all since except 2009.

The 2007 event was held in June and if you remember that month in 2007 there were widespread floods throughout the UK. I drove up on the Saturday in torrential rain all day. On the Sunday the rain had slackened but it still rained throughout the event with standing water on the course at numerous points.

Rode in tights over bib shorts and a waterproof jacket with winter gloves and got soaked but had a terrific time. I'll be back this year.

It wasn't as bad as the 2008 EdT where it was 4oc at the top of the Tourmalet and visibility was b*gger all. It can't be as bad as that can it? :)
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    pedylan wrote:
    It wasn't as bad as the 2008 EdT where it was 4oc at the top of the Tourmalet and visibility was b*gger all. It can't be as bad as that can it? :)
    Won't be far off it.

MTFU everyone, it's only water. And if you're cold you're not working hard enough. :twisted:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    thecrofter wrote:
    pedylan wrote:
    Won't be far off it.

MTFU everyone, it's only water. And if you're cold you're not working hard enough. :twisted:
    Exactly.

And due to accommodation probs it looks like I'll be coming up from Dundee on the morning, so I might just cycle up, a nice steady 50 mile warm up and if I time it right I could just hit the Pitlochry high street at 6:36 exactly and pedal right on through.

or maybe not ;-)
  • d4evr
    thecrofter wrote:
    pedylan wrote:
    Won't be far off it.

I'd argue that ours being an oceanic climate it could indeed feel worse, certainly has the potential to. Who cares? It's character building! Isn't it? :twisted:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I'm not so concerned by the weather, but more concerned by this 1 km sprint competition they've added, on a section just outside Tummel Bridge. With riders still likely to be in big groups at this point I worry that it might be absolute carnage, even in fine weather. I think it's a ridiculous, dangerous idea.

http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/coursemaps.html
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DaveyL wrote:
    I'm not so concerned by the weather, but more concerned by this 1 km sprint competition they've added, on a section just outside Tummel Bridge. With riders still likely to be in big groups at this point I worry that it might be absolute carnage, even in fine weather. I think it's a ridiculous, dangerous idea.

http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/coursemaps.html
    I'm inclined to agree, but at least this year no-one's going to be going that fast heading west...
  • Omar Little
    Agree about the sprint, i like the idea of it but the location doesnt seem ideal.

Perhaps would be better if it was situated on the uphill drag to the finish if it was to be anywhere, the distance in peoples legs, the riders being more spread out and the slight uphill would likely keep things a bit more sensible!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    It is a flat, straight bit of road (with a couple of kinks) and a slight uphill finish. With luck it will be done as well as the rest of the organisation. I'll probably keep out of the way on the left for that bit. (Psych!!!)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I'm sure the organisation will be great. But if you are in a group of riders, you're definitely not gonna win the prize unless you're first out of that group - my concern is that it will essentially become a sprint finish for each pack of riders that goes through it, and that is just inviting disaster.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • d4evr
    I will not be contesting the intermediate sprint, or the KOM. I will be saving my legs for the sprint finish!!! :lol::lol:
  • meanredspider
    Every time I look at the route, I can't believe how flat it is (I'm sure I'm going to eat my words on Sunday). Flat really is something I've never ridden on for any distance (5 miles at the most) - I'm pretty excited about it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Uggi
    Uggi Posts: 24
    I will not be contesting the KOM or Sprint or the Sprint for the finish.

I will be contesting the amount of sausage rolls you can eat, and the back seat on the sweeper bus.
  • crescent
    No one mentioned sausage rolls before! Forget all the doubts, I'm there!!!
    Spent a bit of today MTFUing, not just myself but also my equipment to enhance the weatherproofing capabilities. Shoes and gloves in particular - my experience is if you keep the extremities warm and dry then it is more than half the battle.
    Been watching the Giro this afternoon - don't suppose the weather will be anything like that do you?

Cheers
  • meanredspider
    Fresh snow on Ben Wyvis this afternoon :roll: :wink:

Looks fantastic, mind. Just not in May please.....
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    Just got to Pitlochry, staying at the Faskally campsite. Stayed in Dumfries for the last two nights after driving up from Sussex, decided to ride the Mennock Pass climb featured in Simon Warren's 100 greatest climbs as a warm up for Sunday. 27 miles along the A76 into a 20mph headwind with sideways rain, followed by the 10k Mennock climb upto Leadhills, with snow at the top, was an interesting warm up for Sunday!
  • Omar Little
    Well thats the chain and cassette cleaned and a tweaking to the brakes. Up to Pitlochry tomorrow morning and then head out for a spin if the weather isnt too bad. Excited now :D
    Boleynboy wrote:
    Just got to Pitlochry, staying at the Faskally campsite. Stayed in Dumfries for the last two nights after driving up from Sussex, decided to ride the Mennock Pass climb featured in Simon Warren's 100 greatest climbs as a warm up for Sunday. 27 miles along the A76 into a 20mph headwind with sideways rain, followed by the 10k Mennock climb upto Leadhills, with snow at the top, was an interesting warm up for Sunday!

Was up that last week during the Drumlanrig tearfund nice conditions for the climb, dry, cool and a slight tailwind...there were guys panning for gold in the stream!