Cycle Insurance

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Here we go again. :roll: My M&S contents insurance is up soon and I need to find a new insurer as I've heard that they've changed the terms regarding cycles (but I haven't recieved the paperwork yet). Any tips, chap?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Just changed my contents, did a quick check through confused.com, got a decent deal with AA covering both my bikes, including full cover away from the home.
    Ridley Orion
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,158
    as long as you maintain the m&s policy you are on the original terms - unless they send you notice of new terms

i'm still on the old m&s terms, no reason to leave m&s unless you can get same/better terms for a better price
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have additional insurance through evans where I bought the bike - it was helpful when I was hit - they paid for my bike to be fixed immediately and they got the money back when I got insurance back from the car driver 3 months later.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Update. I managed to get a better deal on buildings and contents from Bradford and Bingley, with the bikes listed as specified items (home and away).

BUT I learned along the way that comparison sites are near useless. Details I entered were not transferred correctly, or worse, were "interpreted" incorrectly by the insurers web site - e.g. my French windows "disappeared". In the end I had to wade through every half decent quote correcting it. Along the way I picked up on little frankly devious tricks such as not making it clear that the "voluntary excess" was in addition to a compulsory excess etc. Some of the web sites are pretty crap too, where clicking an button marked "Next" loses your information. Don't they test drive these things?

An hour of my life I won't get back. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just a thought if anyone's thinking of leaving M&S, I had my city runabout nicked last week - value about £600 new. Rang up their claims line, gave them details, crime number and confirmed I still had proof of purchase. They put me on hold, checked the new price of the current model of the bike and transferred the value minus the excess into my account there and then. Great service.

I daresay it'll be more involved if it had been my custom road bike, but hopefully, I'll never find that out...