Kevlar Tyre - puncture

efunc
efunc Posts: 42
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Carrera Subway 8 hybrid bike, but I'm told the rear has a puncture and is flat. As far as I know these are kevlar tyres. Is there anything I need to know about repairing it? How much is it likely to cost? Is it worth the trouble?

As an aside, how do you avoid ending up with a stolen bike when buying from classifieds?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Makes no difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Buy a repair kit and a pump.

Buy from a home. Is it too cheap? Do they look and sense they act dodgy fcukers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The tube gets punctured, not the tyre.
    Kevlar tyres generally just mean the bead is kevlar instead of steel.

Ask for documents.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • efunc
    Thanks for the advice.

The thing just seems a bit fishy. It's only 9months old, but the front mudguard is missing. when I asked him about it he didn't seem to know where it was or anything. After only 9 months for something as expensive as this I would know every last detail. He also didn't know the frame size! However, it's not cheap, and I'm going to view it at his house. Maybe he's just stupid?!?!
  • cooldad
    Just don't go into his basement if he looks like this guy
    220px-Fritzl.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    If you don't feel very happy with the seller than look else where as you'll find plenty of them on eBay .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • efunc
    IT66T wrote:
    If you don't feel very happy with the seller than look else where as you'll find plenty of them on eBay .
    None at the moment, and none local to me, but I get your point. Been waiting months for one at the right price though. Maybe this one's fine, just wanted to make sure..
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    9 months old I would not pay any more than £100
  • efunc
    omegas wrote:
    9 months old I would not pay any more than £100
    Why's that? It's a £400 bike. Tends to go for around £150 for an old one.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    They are £199 this week in Halfords, they might advertise them for £400 but they are a £199 bike and thats why they sell them at that price.
  • efunc
    I got very excited then and thought they'd managed to find some old stock of the subway 8 and blow them out at £199. Just rushed off to the halfords website, but there's none there. Are you looking in a local store or something?
  • cooldad
    They are £199, but don't have hub gears.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools