Shimano 8 Spd On 7 Spd Freehub?

Darkstalker420
Darkstalker420 Posts: 212
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi fixing up a bike for a mate but the cassette and chain have seen better days. It has a 7 Spd cassette at the moment on some cheap Joytech hubs. I have some old shifters from the "bits" box but they are 8 Spd so i just wanted to be sure (before i order the 8 Spd cassette) if it will fit on the existing freehub.

Thanks.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If it has a free hub, then yes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi fixing up a bike for a mate but the cassette and chain have seen better days. It has a 7 Spd cassette at the moment on some cheap Joytech hubs. I have some old shifters from the "bits" box but they are 8 Spd so i just wanted to be sure (before i order the 8 Spd cassette) if it will fit on the existing freehub.

Thanks.
    If the body is a 7spd one then an 8 spd cassette will not fit.

If it is an 8/9 spd body using a 4.5mm spacer to allow the 7spd cassette to be used then yes you can use an8spd cassette.

You can aso use a 8spd shifter on an 7spd cassette as the spacing is the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Just tried an 8 Spd SRAM cassette...... No dice :( freehub to short! thanks for the help guys anyway.

Thanks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Use a spacer. Got a cassette you can use something from. It just needs to be able to be tightened so it's not loose and no wobble.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It will not work if a 7 speed freehub body.
  • Chunkers1980
    Might want to read properly.
  • nicklouse
    Might want to read properly.
    Yes you should.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • No worries just set the shifters up so 8th on the shifter is 7 at the back and gave the chain a DAMN good degrease and lube and it all seems well :D. Shifts fine and no jumps/grumbles etc.

Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    Yep that is fine.

You could also do something similar with a 9 spd cassette and shifter but only use 8 cogs on the 7spd body and get 8 gears on the back.

Have a read of Sheldon Brown some time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughters commuter hack is set up as Nick says, 8 of 9 gears on a 7 speed freehub using a 9 speed shifter of course, works really nicely, she runs it with a road rear mech as the biggest cog is 28T.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.