Cranks help

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
As i am making a customized bike and i would like to change my standard Suntour 3speed cranks to a 1speed.

The reason for this is i would like to make my bike more like the stupidly expensive ones because i prefer to keep my gears in the single figures. Its a personal preference.

Is this possible with a normal bike and where can i get the cheapest cranksets from in this field?

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just take the rings off your current cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Do the chain ring detatch? If so, remove the ones you don't want and adjust mech stops or fit a device .
  • MTB noob
    I'll try that but i might try this on a rubbish pair first.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes, the ones you've got?
  • MTB noob
    no i have a pair of scrap ones to experiment on but the bolts have rusted on them. Anyway on with the subject, i don't know how to undo them because there's no screw or bolt where there should be. I think that they're riveted
  • Chunkers1980
    Game over then really
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MTB noob wrote:
    no i have a pair of scrap ones to experiment on but the bolts have rusted on them. Anyway on with the subject, i don't know how to undo them because there's no screw or bolt where there should be. I think that they're riveted
    And they are? Some you can just drill out and fit with new bolts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    MTB noob wrote:

They will be riveted. As above, just drill the rivets out. Usually only the smallest ring can be drilled off as the other two rings are on the same rivet. You could drill all 3 off and use chain ring bolts to put one back onto the cranks.