Cube Acid vs Giant Revel ltd 0

the jam
the jam Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Im a bit confused at the moment for which bike to go for, I had set my sights on a Boardman Comp but it just didnt feel right when I was sat on it cant put my finger on why but just didnt feel as good a fit a my revel 3.

I have had a go of a friends Acid and this felt really good while riding so off I popped to my LBS to order one in but the guy in shop tried steering me towards the the Giant ltd saying it was a lot more Bike for the money he is going to get one in this week for me to try out but as a releative newby to mountain biking I am unsure as whether to just take his word if I like the Giant or is the Cube the better bike.

Cost for both is not to different £679 for The Giant or he will do the Cube for £700.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is no doubt the Acid has the best spec here - far superior fork puts it in a different class.

Would upgrading your Revel 3 be an option?
  • the jam
    I have thought of upgrading but Im thinking If I go with the upgrade I would probably need to change basically every component on the bike to get it to a similar standard of the cube.

I will have a look around at forks, group sets etc to see what the cost would be for a full upgrade.

Thanks for the reply.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    You'll end up spending just as much in the end. Go for the Cube, £700 is a decent price as well
  • supersonic
    If you bought a Deore groupset and brakes (£250), SUperstar wheels (£220) and a Reba fork (£250) then I you'd have a better bike than either. Just a thought!
  • the jam
    Okay, Im looking at taking super sonics option of upgrading my revel, I am gonig to go with reba forks and the Deore groupset, only I dont know what the difference is with the rotor options, will either of them do or do I need a specific one?

Also which cassette ratio option should I choose?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... upset.html

Thanks in advance
  • supersonic
    I'd get the new wheels too, and add rotrors that match their fitting ie 6 bolt or Centrelock. WIth the Deore deal you can add MT15 wheels at little cost.

Cassette ratio - 36t is a lower gear, but larger gaps between the gears. Also a bit heavier.