SRAM x9 or Shimano XT

Drzoidberg
Drzoidberg Posts: 122
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm going to a 2x10 setup on my bike, and I am torn between X9 and XT.

So far I have only ever used SRAM gear and so far so good, nothing bad to report. But XT seems to be a bit more Gucci looking and have a lot more attention in terms of reviews and people stocking it.

From what I can gather from trawling the internet is XT smoother but X9 is more reliable but not quite as smooth? Anyone had any experience or know anything useful to compare the 2?

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would say that XT is smoother, more reliable and better built than X9.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    supersonic wrote:
    I would say that XT is smoother, more reliable and better built than X9.

See i would say XT is smoother , but not tougher or as reliable in my experience. so much is down to personal experience. I'm a big fan of SRAM 1:1 ratio
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Pro's and cons for each but in terms of reliability it all depends on whether the unit you purchase of whichever is a munter or not.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    On the shim x10 setup though, shimano pull more cable than in the 9 cog version, so the 1:1 argumen for Sram is less.
  • supersonic
    Neither SRAM or Shimano is 1:1 on 10 speed though.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:
    Neither SRAM or Shimano is 1:1 on 10 speed though.

http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/produ ... erm-id/381

States it uses the same exact actuation technology from previous?
  • supersonic
    SRAMs website is not very clear on the differences in EA and 1:1 - they are not the same thing. If they were the same cable pull, 9 and 10 speed MTB rear mechs would be interchangable. The actual ratios are slightly different.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    supersonic wrote:
    SRAMs website is not very clear on the differences in EA and 1:1 - they are not the same thing. If they were the same cable pull, 9 and 10 speed MTB rear mechs would be interchangable. The actual ratios are slightly different.
    Exact Actuation
    When we launched our road technology from scratch we reapplied our MTB proven SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio (shifter cable travel : derailleur movement) for 10 speed rear shifting. EA helps to simplify/stabilize the uneasy act of balancing rear derailleur hanger design, tight cog spacing and exact cable tension. The result: the easiest index shifting system to set up and it stays that way...........
    1:1 Actuation™ is superior by design. Every unit of cable you pull moves the derailleur the same amount. Actuation stays precise and fluid slogging through mud, bouncing off rocks, rutting through roots — wherever you find yourself, whatever conditions you're in. It's dependable. Tolerant. Easiest to set up. Easiest to adjust. And, not coincidentally, the top choice of the top MTB...... well that clears that up then.....or maybe not :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Rusty
    Rusty Posts: 808
    Trying to make a similar choice.
    I have recently purchase a Kona Entourage with x9 gearing, shifts very smooth but it's not been through a winter yet.

My hard tail trail bike (used for churning through everything that winter has to chuck at us) needs new shifters and gears.
    Was gonna go Shimano, try bag a bargain as sales are on, and I've previously only ever used Shiamno.
    But the x9 has impressed with with crisp smooth changing.

So question is,
    Whats a good gear set to put on my trail bike....?

Im looking for function and reliabilty, it's gonna get covered in crap so looks do not bother me

cheers

Russ
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Only you can decide. Advice will just bring out the SRAM lovers and haters. Although I do think in 10s the big S tips the valence more so than before.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I run XT one one bike and X9 on the other and the Shimano is smoother shifting and definitely better built. Reliability...watch this space. I have to adjust the XT more but the X9 is on the DH bike which only gets ridden 10wks a year
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run X9 on my road commuter and XT on my MTB which gets muddy, the X9 is faster/crisper shifting (less lateral play on the guide pulley) but the XT is smoother (on the same cassette), however the XT is more reliable despite being the one used in worse conditions, however if grip/twist shifters are your thing (I use them on my commuter for weight reasons and to declutter the bars) then you'll want SRAM (at least at the moment!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I was a big X9 9spd fan, but moved to XT 10spd on the recommendation of a few people. My reasons were the better build quality (apparently) and (most importantly tbh) the price! I ve found setting up a bit more fidly, but when it's good, it's stayed like that. To be honest I had a lot of problems with SRAM stuff wearing out too, but i ve not used XT long enough to compare.

It seems that although X7 and X0 are good, the current X9 is not really up to scratch.

Either way though it took me about 5 mins riding to totally forget about which one I was using so, ultimately, it does nt matter! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I prefer XT - smoother. I think both are very reliable though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Shimano every time.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have SRAM X0 & Shimano SLX. I would say that the SLX set up is smoother and more reliable so XT should be far better than X9.
    The two direction release on Shimano is nicer than the SRAM one direction release as well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The two direction release on Shimano is nicer than the SRAM one direction release as well.
    That's a bit of a Marmite question, I prefer the SRAM which is why my XT is driven by a SRAM shifter (Rocket).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    XT. Best gears I've ever used.

Up til now, I liked SRAM, for the longer cable throw and for the positivity of shifting... But Shimano were always better quality. Now, Shimano nicked those 2 ideas from SRAM and stuck it into the lower models, and my SLX is every bit as good as my old X9, and feels very similiar (if you blind tested me I'd have said it was SRAM)

Weirdly the XTR is still classic Shimano, ie horrible. Like the lever isn't connected to anything.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I have a 1x9 set up, running a short gauge SRAM X9 rear mech. I've had no problems with it. I had problems with my X7 shifters sticking, but when I converted to 1x9 I went for a X9 shifter and so far so good. Had a XT rear mech on my previous bike which I also had no problems with.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013