Garden storage for new bike - Keter 'Store It Out'?

Good Old Bakes
Good Old Bakes Posts: 89
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Having been a long time reader of this excellent and informative forum, I thought it was about time I stuck my head above the parapet, said Hi and asked your opinion.

I have recently discovered cycling, at the ripe old age of 50, thanks to my neighbour giving me a cheap, old, unused 15 speed Falcon MTB that had been hanging around his garage for 7 or 8 years. After a bit of TLC, a new saddle, new grips and pedals and a good clean of the chain set and gears, I embarked on a few months of exploring the paths and trails of the Peak District on the old beast, learning how to use ‘all’ the gears (my last bike was a 3 speed Raleigh Chopper in the mid 70’s!) and getting re-introduced to some long lost leg muscles. I’ve enjoyed it so much that I’m picking up a shiny new Rockrider 8.1 on Sunday and there in lies my dilemma. Where to store it?

The current bike lives down the side passage, covered by taupe but I obviously need something a bit more salubrious for the new arrival so I am considering getting a Keter ‘Store It Out’ from Homebase for £119. http://www.keter.com/products/store-it-out-xl/ I can’t stretch to the price of a metal bin and the sheds at that price seem even more flimsy. Is anyone currently using one of these Keters and what are your opinions if so?

I know that these plastic stores aren’t mega secure but we are fully fenced in and the gate is always padlocked, unless I’m already out on the bike. I intend to put some sort of anchor down and get one of those movement sensor alarms for the doors. My main concern is keeping it water tight through the winter months. There’s no room in the house to store the bike but Mrs Good Old Bakes has generously said that it can live in the spare room until I get a home for it - as long as it’s not used!

Anyway, I’ve rattled on for long enough, it's your turn now. Does anyone have any opinions on the Keter?

Cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome to the forum but you need to get your priorities straight
    bikelove.jpg

Your link just goes to the website, not the product, but if someone wants to steal it they'll go to any length. we've had people here with real sheds, big lock and bikes chained up inside and they still get nicked.
    I keep mine inside (although I am single) but just put an old duvet cover on the floor.
    Maybe be nice to her. I believe flowers and suchlike works, although obviously not my forte, which is why I'm single.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    One of those plastic sheds or something similar if it has to go outside will do

The main thing to worry about is not preventing the bike being nicked but that it's covered by your insurance if it is, i.e. that what it's locked up with and locked up to meets the insurer's requirements.

Look for the Sold Secure rating, that's usually what insurer's require. For a Rockrider 8.1 it probably won't need the highest rating and can probably be easily added to house insurance, might even be already covered. But make sure you check the terms
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    I have one of their garden storage benches and it is really excellent - well-made, sturdy, easy to assemble,watertight. Good value for money. If that is any help
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,652
    Look on the bright side - a 15 year old MTB probably isn't worth much (no offence) and a thief will probably clock this if he does break in. Like has been said a bove a decent lock/ground anchor should make it too much trouble for what the bike is worth.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cooldad
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Look on the bright side - a 15 year old MTB probably isn't worth much (no offence) and a thief will probably clock this if he does break in. Like has been said a bove a decent lock/ground anchor should make it too much trouble for what the bike is worth.
    I think you missed this
    I’ve enjoyed it so much that I’m picking up a shiny new Rockrider 8.1 on Sunday and there in lies my dilemma. Where to store it?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I think you missed this
    I’ve enjoyed it so much that I’m picking up a shiny new Rockrider 8.1 on Sunday and there in lies my dilemma. Where to store it?

My fault. I have a tendency to waffle. I should have cut straight to the chase. :lol:

Still, I could just leave the old bike outside as a decoy...???
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That'll offer no real protection other than getting it out of sight... But you could combine it with a lock inside the box.

If it's mainly weather protection, I'd say build your own personally rather than dropping a load of money on what is, basically, a tupperware box. One pallet-liberating session for raw materials, and a dab of paint. It'll have the advantage that nobody'll expect to find anything of value in a tramp's hovel. Then, I'd spend the money on a ground anchor.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    cooldad wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I think you missed this
    Just googled the rockrider and I don't think it changes my conclusion much :wink: - as long as he gets a decent ground anchor and locks.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    [
    Just googled the rockrider and I don't think it changes my conclusion much :wink: - as long as he gets a decent ground anchor and locks.

John%20Shuttleworth.jpg

OOOOF..!

And they said bike snobbery was dying out.... :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pff, it's one of the great bargain hardtails. If it said Orange on the side it'd cost a grand
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Too true. Stevo can't even read, obviously you'd be an idiot to listen to an idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    He's not even a real terminator.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Went for one of these in the end from B&Q. http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-buildings/sheds-garden-storage-workshops/garden_storage/Blooma-Brown-Plastic-Bike-Shed-11987682

A bit bigger and more roomier than the Keter one I was looking at and seemed a lot more sturdier too. Just need to get the patio level now so it looks like the new bike will be living in the house for a week - un-ridden.... :(
    cooldad wrote:
    Maybe be nice to her. I believe flowers and suchlike works, although obviously not my forte, which is why I'm single.

Guinea Pigs!

I've had to agree to her getting 2 Guinea Pigs to get my bike shed. I don't know, the things us blokes have to do just to eek out an existence.
  • cooldad
    Can you make bacon out of them?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Stevo_666
    cooldad wrote:
    Only Sarah Connor thinks they're real.

Good Old Bakes - you missed the :wink: . Still worth protecting - hence the anchor and lock advice :)
  • cooldad
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Only Sarah Connor thinks they're real.

Good Old Bakes - you missed the :wink: . Still worth protecting - hence the anchor and lock advice :)
    I would.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools