Bontrager SSR v Shimano RS 10

p9uma
p9uma Posts: 565
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
The following question is asked more out of idle curiosity more than anything else.

I am removing the nearly new continental GP4000s tyres from the Shimano RS10 wheels that are on my CAAD 9 and putting them on the Bontrager SSR wheels of my Madone 3.5. However, it occurs to me that I might have been better off just swapping the wheels over. It cetainly would have been quicker.

Does anyone know which is the better wheel set or are they much of a muchness?
Trek Madone 3.5
Whyte Coniston
1970 Dawes Kingpin

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm not familiar with the Bontrager wheels but I have the feeling that if they were supplied as stock on the Madone they are likely to be broadly on a par with the RS10's.

In fact, put the tyres back and swap the wheels and let us know!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Forget them both and get a set of American Classics - How dare you have fthat foreign muck on a Cannondale :-)

Seriously I believe there is not a lot of difference in the ones you are comparing in performance terms.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Not that much difference between them to be honest - as Keef66 suggested maybe you should try both sets with the same tyres and see which you prefer.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • p9uma
    Pretty much what I thought. I have a set of postal scales that are permanently out for my eBay stuff, and there isn't much difference in weight , about 20/5 grams. I may well try both wheels on the bike, thus far I have put the Conti tyres on the Trek with Bontranger wheels I'll give it spin in the next couple of days and report back
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    smidsy wrote:
    Forget them both and get a set of American Classics - How dare you have fthat foreign muck on a Cannondale :-)

Seriously I believe there is not a lot of difference in the ones you are comparing in performance terms.

Nah you've gawn n dun it ain't ya. I've never heard of American Classics until you mentioned them, now you've got me trawling t'interweb looking for wheels again. Ya sod!
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    p9uma wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Nah you've gawn n dun it ain't ya. I've never heard of American Classics until you mentioned them, now you've got me trawling t'interweb looking for wheels again. Ya sod!
    I've got a Trek Madone 3.5 2012 as well and I've just upgraded my wheels, I was going to go with American Classic (they look the business and review really well) but I ended up with a set of hand-built from http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/

The difference is unbelievable, 25% lighter and they run so well compared to the stock Bontragers.
  • smidsy
    Always happy to help :-)

The AC's are really nice and at ony 1530g spin up really well and feel nice and lively when out of the saddle.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • p9uma
    Gizmodo wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

I've got a Trek Madone 3.5 2012 as well and I've just upgraded my wheels, I was going to go with American Classic (they look the business and review really well) but I ended up with a set of hand-built from http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/

The difference is unbelievable, 25% lighter and they run so well compared to the stock Bontragers.

Brilliant! Make my life harder why don't ya? Got any pics of your bike and new wheels?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    smidsy wrote:

The AC's are really nice and at ony 1530g spin up really well and feel nice and lively when out of the saddle.
    Is that 1530 each wheel or for the pair?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    For the pair I'd assume
  • Gizmodo
    p9uma wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:

Brilliant! Make my life harder why don't ya? Got any pics of your bike and new wheels?
    Good point! I must go and get some photos of them on the bike! Here are some before I fitted them (click to see larger).
    dscf0836f.th.jpg dscf0838n.th.jpg
  • p9uma
    Gizmodo wrote:
    dscf3150ai.jpg

Well! They certainly look the biz. Can you confirm the weight for the pair?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Gizmodo
    Finally found it, I knew I had typed the weight in somewhere - found it in one of my tweets.

1564g the pair, 28.5% lighter than the Bonty SSRs.

Front 685g, rear 879g
  • p9uma
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Finally found it, I knew I had typed the weight in somewhere - found it in one of my tweets.

1564g the pair, 28.5% lighter than the Bonty SSRs.

Front 685g, rear 879g

Ta muchly
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • smidsy
    p9uma wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Is that 1530 each wheel or for the pair?

The Pair (as claimed by AC).
    Yellow is the new Black.