Wallrides

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Afternoon all. Last year we got a spangly new wallride at Stile Cop. It's a moderate bermy kindof wallride and I ride it like a wooden berm which seems pretty pathetic when I see how high some of the other fellas go.

Do you approach this kind of obstacle fairly fast, square it off then dive down the inside or is there some other technique to get high on the woodwork without going right over it :)

Any advice is welcome cheers

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    What do you mean by square it off? You kind of have to approach at a fair speed and commit, otherwise you'll just slide off (I know this from experience), and lean so that you're pretty much riding it like a flat bit of trail. I'm guessing it's not too difficult a wallride? It really does depend how vert they are as to how you approach them.

This one took a few tries to get right! (and I know, I really should have been wearing a lid). You kind of had to bunny hop into this one because it was so vertical and then bunny hop off at the end.

p4pb3985013.jpg

My mate Arran could always get higher though...

p4pb3985011.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You look like the new Jay12 in that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Damn, those photos are a good couple of years old now.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    just try building up your height each time you do it - you will eventually be as high as the others - dont try to get the highest you can straight off 1st time
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I can only wallride confidently from right to left :(

Same with getting air out of a quarter pipe, half pipe or bowl. I also find hip jumps to the left easier than to the right.

On wall rides I stuggled with leaning over enough. It sort of all clicks into place when you get it right.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe