Trek Madone 6.9

cdc02254
cdc02254 Posts: 181
edited May 2012 in Your road bikes
My First Bike Build.

Build from scratch, purchased the frame from here it was blue/white and had it sprayed. Im not 100% happy with the paint job but it works well with the wheels and groupset.

Finished weight as in the picture 6.45kg

trekmadone69.jpg

Comments

• brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    It looks like a wasp :lol: but very nice indeed
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Bars would be better rotated down a bit...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cdc02254
    Yes Im taking it out for a shake down later today so I guess there is going to be a few tweaks.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    Isn't the seat post on the wrong way round??
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • cdc02254
    I see what you mean but its profiled so it will only go on one way. Ill look at it now.
  • SirUlrich
    SirUlrich Posts: 29
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Isn't the seat post on the wrong way round??

More likely that its one of the +10mm seat mast caps trek offered (as opposed to the more standard 5 or 20mm setback)

Nice bike - the big brother of my 09 5 series madone :)
  • cdc02254
    Yes it seems that is what it is.

I was about to find a normal post then remembered that this is probably the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden straight out of the box (kind of) so I guess the seating position suits me. :D
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Quality bike, looks like its been set up by someone who doesnt have a clue though!
  • cdc02254
    Thats a bit harsh.

Why would you say that?.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Come on, look at it!

The seatpost's the wrong way round, the stems the wrong way up, the bars are pointing to the sky, theres about half a foot of stem stackers. For a fast bike it looks all wrong.

Sort that though, and it'll be class. The colour scheme is amazing
  • cdc02254
    Well to be honest it is my first ever bike build so I can accept there are a few things I need to learn but I believe the seat is correct and also is the stem but I have corrected the handlebars since taking the photos but not the stem spacers as this is roughly the same as my other bike and until I ride it in anger I won't know what needs changing but thanks for your constructive criticism xxx.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    cdc02254 wrote:
    Well to be honest it is my first ever bike build so I can accept there are a few things I need to learn but I believe the seat is correct and also is the stem but I have corrected the handlebars since taking the photos but not the stem spacers as this is roughly the same as my other bike and until I ride it in anger I won't know what needs changing but thanks for your constructive criticism xxx.

Just ignore styxd. Some people are just sad tossers and can't accept that not everyone is a super flexible racing snake. It's your bike, not their bike. They need to STFU and remember that.

Enjoy it ;)
  • cdc02254
    I don't mind, if the bike ends up better due to feedback and I learn something then I'm happy. I did think it was quite a strange hostile way of going about it but maybe he has issues, I'm not sure.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    lucky bugger! :)that looks seriously nice!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    I think the bike looks great. I actually like what you've done to the frame, the colour scheme looks very good. Perhaps trek might look here for a few ideas for the colour schemes for next years bikes.

With regard to the setup, if the bike feels comfortable for you and good whilst you're on it and it doesn't give you any problems, who cares how it looks.

Just out of interest, where did you have the frame resprayed?
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Strange that the brake cable is internally routed but no the gears, didn't realise Trek did that.

Once you tilt the bars down, you're going to have to alter the position of the levers as they'll then be perpendicular with the ground :)
  • cdc02254
    I had the bike sprayed by colourtech uk ltd in dartford. If you do use them be sure to be very specific about waht you to the point that I would draw and colour an image. The grey was actually meant to be 2 or three shades off of black and he didnt use the correct typeface he also sprayed it gloss at first although I asked for it to be satin but as I say if you are specific I think you will get what you want.

I believe the madone 6.9 only had internal gear routing after 2010. I took it out for an hour today and did move the bars down, then up a bit then moved the levers nearly there now.

Seems to be jumping out of gear a lot which I think is due to the cables being to short :oops:
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    cdc02254 wrote:
    I had the bike sprayed by colourtech uk ltd in dartford.

Hi Mate, whereabouts you based? I don't live too far from Dartford, used to live at Swanley, but now on the edge of the North Downs just past Brands Hatch.

I was looking for a company to spray my Trek 2.5 which is here:-

IMG_3654.jpg

To look like this bike here:-

Madone.jpg

Spoke to a couple of companies, think one was up near Catford way, and they weren't interested in doing it!!

I was given the details of a few companies, can't remember whether i spoke to Colourtech at Dartford though....will give them a call, from memory i think a bike respray is in the region of £150.00?
  • Great looking bike.
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Wow, that's quite some first build, you're not messing around there! It looks great. Hard to comment on set-up due to the angle of the pic but given how much that has cost you to put together I'd seriously recommend a bike fit session. There's nothing more important than fit on a bike. Post a side on shot and it might well look more 'normal'. Oh and epic fail for the valve caps!