Tips on maintenance of Speedplay pedals?.

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, new to Speedplay Pedals any advice on maintenance please.

Cheers.

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Their pretty low maintenance TBH, just make sure that you keep a dab of PTFE spray/dry lube on the metal claw of the pedal (or the lock ring in the cleat) and other than that pump some grease through them every 3 months. Any small grease gun will work, you don't need the speedplay one. Just remove the little screw on the end, put gun up to hole and pump away. The old grease will come out through a o-ring on the spindle, keep going till you see fresh grease. I do it once a month in winter, but both timescales are prob overkill.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/dualco-m ... 20198.html

Any grease will go the trick, (LM, Calcium, synthetic) just not copper-slip/anti-seize.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Squirt the grease in with a plastic syringe bought for pennies from any chemists
    Clean the cleats and grooves on the pedals every now and again (I do it maybe once every 300 miles or so)
    Lube the metal clip bit in the yellow plastic holder after cleaning
    Check the cleat screws are snug every 10 rides or so (visual check only I have never found mine to loosen but others have)
    Grease the screws fitting adaptor plate to shoe sole regularily - I only did this once when I fitted mine now some 2.5 to 3 k miles later one is siezed! Not that much of a disaster as I need new shoes and cleats anyway but that's just luck!
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Cheers for the good advice.
  • As has already been put
    Grease through the port every few months, less in dry summer weather. Just keep pushing grease untill clean grease comes out the sides of the spindles. You'll tell the dirty grease from the clean don't worry.

I dab some dry lube into the retainer spring every now and again.

Main thing it the cleat screws coming loose causing play in the cleat. just give them a tighten every now and again if they need it. You can also get locktite screws from screwfix much cheaper than through bike shops should you need replacements
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?