Woman down......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
In front of my car, yes that right, I just ran someone over......Only took the car because I had a rough nights sleep!

Bugger.

She was jogging and ran out across a T junction with her ipod without looking.....I was creeping up to the T junction (I was on the minor road looking to join the main road of the T) to turn right onto the main road and she ran out in front of a big parked van that was obscuring my view to the left......luckily, the car was creeping along, in fact it was creeping as fast automatics do - can't have been above 6mph because the auto locking had not locked the doors yet.

She flicked me the V's and then ran off.....

Still, it made up for the crap commute home last night; the flouro 'real' commuter crowd were out in force, RLJ and pavement dodge city last night - unbelievable.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    blimey

u ok dude, car ok?

was that a V for victory? or viva la france!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    mudcow007 wrote:
    blimey

u ok dude, car ok?

She, me, junior and the care are fine - I mean it was at less than 6mph as the car locks the doors when you get over 6mph and that had not occurred.

I think it shows several things:

1, iPods and running on pavements/crossing roads is not great - she should have heard a bloody big diesel engine!
    2, Parking and obscuring a junction is a crap thing to do
    3, Being tired and driving is not great (I have been more lethargic and driven TBH)
    4, If you cannot see down a road to cross it, you cannot assume that the road is clear (she could not see me because of the bloody van).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    gtvlusso wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    blimey

u ok dude, car ok?

She, me, junior and the care are fine - I mean it was at less than 6mph as the car locks the doors when you get over 6mph and that had not occurred.

1, iPods and running on pavements/crossing roads is not great - she should have heard a bloody big diesel engine!
    3, Being tired and driving is not great (I have been more lethargic and driven TBH)
    4, If you cannot see down a road to cross it, you cannot assume that the road is clear (she could not see me because of the bloody van).

5. Don't run. It's not dignified.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    You can't be responsible for everyone's stupid behaviour. I almost ran someone down last night on my bike: similar situation - earplugs in, not paying attention, just stepped into cycle lane from behind an obstruction without looking first. You wonder how some people survive the day!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Point 3, whilst true, is irrelevant because of point 4.
    She flicked 2 fingers at you to say twice. It was a challenge to do it a second time. You should have chased after her and mowed her down at speed. That'd learn her. That's how us car drivers have to educate those pesky cyclists, same goes for peds.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Do they not teach these people anything anymore? No green cross code? Tufty the squirrel? Had a few idiots stepping out in front of stationary buses whilst filtering down Borough High Street this morning. I've come to expect it, but they'll regret it if its somebody a bit less careful / a motorbike. Walworth Road a nightmare, lierally crowds of people milling along in the middle of the road...
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I think the two fingers thing was a come on. She wants you dude!
  • gtvlusso
    I forgot about the Tufty club!

As for fingers.....nah, she was a reet ol' minger :shock: :cry:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Veronese68 wrote:
    She flicked 2 fingers at you to say twice. It was a challenge to do it a second time. You should have chased after her and mowed her down at speed. That'd learn her. That's how us car drivers have to educate those pesky cyclists, same goes for peds.
    Like this? Warning - The linked news report video may upset some people.

http://news.sky.com/home/video/16224441

Sorry for the ads.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I think the two fingers thing was a come on. She wants you dude!

Remember: one finger medical, two fingers magical.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    daviesee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Like this? Warning - The linked news report video may upset some people.

http://news.sky.com/home/video/16224441

Sorry for the ads.

Fookin' hell. Don't have sound at work, presumably that was targeted at them and not a random lunatic. That's terrifying. Obviously my post was very much tongue in cheek.
  • I had high hopes for this thread. ** Sigh **
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    BigMat wrote:
    Do they not teach these people anything anymore? No green cross code? Tufty the squirrel? etc...

Ha! Yes I'm of a certain age to remember Tufty et al and often think the same thing. People stepping out into the road from behind buses etc it's terrifying.

I had a guy do this to me a few weeks ago and luckily my spidey senses had detected someone was likely to be there and so i had given a bit more room than usual and had the brakes covered.

I just said to him in a matter of fact way without stopping and without ranting "don't do that" (I'm sure it won't make a blind bit of difference to his behaviour).

In fact now i'm on a roll yesterday a rider in front of me stopped as a van had decided to reverse across the road from right to left.

So i stopped too and as we both sat there waiting a female rider decided to try and squeeze through the rapidly disappearing gap only to realise that she was going to get hit if she carried on so she swerved to the kerb and braked hard as i again repeated what appears to be my catch-phrase "don't do that".

Me and the other bloke exchanged some comment or other which i can't even recall now.

Some people eh!
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I had high hopes for this thread. ** Sigh **

+1

Would never have happened in the old days, where's GT when you need him ...? Auz I bet the work shy shite
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    I wonder if there is an opposite thread to this on some (far inferior) running forum out there...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    gtvlusso wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    blimey

u ok dude, car ok?

5. Don't run. It's not dignified.

And it panics the men (or something like that)... Seriously though I hate it when people walk out between cars etc without the slightest glance although I have to say it seems to happen less than it used to with the increase in cyclist number in London, I think finally peds are more aware of what might be coming alongside that stationary vehicle
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    memsley89 wrote:
    I wonder if there is an opposite thread to this on some (far inferior) running forum out there...

Somewhere here?
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.