Run in new tyres before event?

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I'm doing the bike leg of a sprint distance triathlon this weekend, which will be my first event this year (doing a half ironman in July).

I have some oldish cheapo road tyres on my bike at the moment that I've been using to train on. I also have a set of new Michelin Pro Race 3s ready. The sprint tri has crept up on me a bit, so I won't get the chance to ride on the Michelin PR3s prior to race day, should I just stick them on anyway, or are they likely to be a little slippery before they've been run in for a few miles?

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    If it rains I wouldn't. If it's dry i'd probably stick them on.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    I did the Little Mountain TT the other week in torrential rain and gale force winds. I rode on my new wheels and brand new Pro Race 3s - the ride to the start line was literally the first time they touched the tarmac - and they were absolutely fine (shame I've been too lazy to change back to my training wheels and ended up puncturing and splitting the rear on my commute this morning with only about 150 miles on them :oops: ).
  • graeme_s-2
    Forecast for Sunday is mild and dry at the moment, so thinking I'll probably bung 'em on.

Thanks for the replies.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Pro3's do have a waxy substance on them when they arrive. I wouldn't worry too much though.

If you're paranoid I'd try to do a 10 mile warm up before the event or scrub them down with a rough towel and some hot water (should get most of it off).
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If you're running at Mcr velodrome, they require you to scrub-in your new tyres before you go on the track - if your tyres are slippery and you come off down the banking on your first lap and take several other people down then you're not popular.
    Do not use brand new tyres on the track without first preparing them thus; rub the
    surface with alcohol or white vinegar or other degreaser before use. Ride the first three
    laps on the Cote d’Azure or bottom of track.
    So you could use a not-too-strong solvent to clean off the waxy residue from the moulding process and rub-up a bit with fine sandpaper if you're keen.
    But to be honest, I've just fitted some new Pro3's onto my bike and will probably just go out and ride them, just won't lean the bike over too far in corners the first time out.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    It's a bit different on a banked pine track though to be fair ;)
  • graeme_s-2
    It's a 20km TT in Stratford-Upon-Avon, if I end up on Manchester Velodrome I think I can kiss good bye to any chance of a good time ;)

I might just try and get out on Saturday morning for a quick run just so I know what they feel like through corners etc.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    I posted a similar question here

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12848308

and got some very good advice - wash down with soapy water, rub with sandpaper and rub over with acetone - which I followed and had no problems at all.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I went out for 25 miles on a brand new set of tyres yesterday and the centre line is still not completely gone.

No problems with handling though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Have you got time for a quick ride with reduced tyre pressures? Might wear them in a bit quicker.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I did about 15 miles when I first fitted my pro 3's and the only "wax" left was on the edge of the tyres, in fact there's still some there now.
    I'd try to get out on them beforehand, even if it's only a half hour blast.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Graeme_S wrote:
    It's a 20km TT in Stratford-Upon-Avon, if I end up on Manchester Velodrome I think I can kiss good bye to any chance of a good time ;)

I wasn't suggesting you would, I was just saying that's how they recommend roughing-in new tyres :lol:

Like I said, I have some new Pro3's on my bike and will just go out and ride them at the weekend, I just won't bank the bike 45-degrees into the first bend I come to, particularly if it's wet, not until I have a few miles on them and have worn-off the mould-release agent a bit - maybe on the way home !
  • graeme_s-2
    I basically only managed to blast up and down the road the morning before my ride. Seemed to clear off the worst of the powdery mould release compound. Didn't have any trouble during my ride, but it was dry and there weren't any particularly technical corners.

Happy enough with the tyres, they're lighter and roll better than the cheap Schwalbe tyres that were on before (Luganos I think). Not really sure how they compare with the GP4000Ss that I used last season yet.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Thanks for the update - I hate it when people ask questions etc on here and don't follow up telling us how it ends up.